Introducing CAIN!

10:05 PM 10 Comments »


Meet the newest member of our family, Cain. Is he sweet or is he sweet? I am so in love with this boy, as is the rest of our family. He is the perfect addition!
.
We have been discussing getting a dog for Cameron (well, the whole family but especially for Cam) for about three months now. I have been going back and forth between what kind of dog to get, big or small, long hair/short hair, puppy or adult, from a breeder or a rescue and I gotta say... I'm glad everything fell into place the way it did.
.
Originally, the plan was to get a dog around Christmas time and give it to the kids as their "Santa" gift. That was until the wee hours of Wednesday morning...
.
It was sometime around 3:15am that both Nguyen and I were frantically woken up by the blaring sound of our house alarm system. It was my worst fear (well one of them.) We both looked at each other and were absolutely panic stricken. We knew that in order for this alarm to go off, either a side/back door or window had to have been opened. I was most worried about my babies and how scared they must have been from the sound of the alarm and I definitely was worried that there was an intruder in our home and that Cameron would be running down the hallway at any moment. At that point, Nguyen and I split up. He made his way carefully through our dark house towards Cameron's room while I grabbed the telephone and called 911, heading for Gabby's room. Meanwhile, the alarm is still blaring.
.
Gabby was actually asleep (I have NO idea how...the alarm is viciously loud) but she woke up once I started talking to the 911 operator. I stood in her dark room waiting for Nguyen to make his way back with Cameron but he never came back and I really started to worry. I didn't want to go roaming through the house with Gabby, and I also couldn't leave her in her room all alone. So I waited for the police to come which seemed like an eternity. Ten minutes later, they had finally arrived on my front porch and I still had no clue where Nguyen or Cameron were.
.
I followed behind the officer and he asked what my husbands name was. He began calling out for him and we heard Nguyen respond from our master bedroom. He had the door shut and had NO clue I had called the police. Looking back, it was actually a little comical and the officer probably thought we were nut jobs. Anyhow, I am not sure if the officer thought Nguyen was being held hostage or what but I saw him put his hand on his gun and I freaked out. I immediately shouted for Nguyen to come out and he did, thank God! When he finally did come out, I realized he was on the phone with the police as well. :)
.
The officer took a look around and we immediately realized our side door to our garage was ajar. Any attempt of opening this door would sound our alarm so we're certain this is what happened. It's not the type of door that could easily become open from wind or anything, which is why we're fairly certain someones hand opened that door. It makes me sick to think about it and I am so grateful we have an alarm system!
.
Anyway, that night/early morning we couldn't go back to sleep and we were obviously shaken up. Nguyen looked at me and said "I think it's time to go ahead and get a dog!" Though we're sure the alarm system would be plenty to scare off any predators, the thought of having a dog that would bark before something like this happened and potentially scare off someone is comforting. Not to mention if someone, God forbid, did get into our home, we think the bark of a 150lb Great Dane could be a little intimidating. And so it was settled. We needed to get a dog with a BIG bark STAT!
.
So that is how we came to find our big boy, Cain. He is a Great Dane and at 13 weeks, weighs in at 47.4 pounds. His hands are bigger than my own and his legs are thicker than my arms. His blood lines trace back to the largest Great Dane in the world, as seen in the Guinness Book of World Records and his older brother weighs in at 160 pounds.

I have loved Great Danes for as long as I can remember and I am just in heaven with this little temporarily medium-sized guy. I think a Great Dane is actually a very wise choice for our family. They are "gentle giants" but are also known as protectors of their families. Already, Cain fits in so well with us. He is low energy (which I love) but he does still get the urge to play and wants to be walked and horsed around with like any other puppy (which he made me aware of around 5:45 this morning.)
.
Because he is already 13 weeks old, he has had some practice with potty training and we started him on a leash yesterday which he did pretty well with for the most part. I definitely have some work cut out for me but he is so worth it. I am so happy to have a big dog in the house and Cameron is absolutely over the moon for him. Also noteworthy: my husband, aka "the guy who doesn't really care for animals" just GUSHES over Cain. I've never seen him like this with an animal ever so that's really sayin' something!
Welcome to the Phamily, Baby Cain!







10 comments:

Susie said...

Love love Danes! He looks just like my old Dane Gal! Enjoy!

Aunt Nutty said...

He's so cute. I can't wait to meet him in person.

Aunt Nutty said...

How come you don't have a picture of Cameron with HIS dog? Aunt Leigh wants to know.

Stacey said...

He's sooooo pretty!!! as for leash walking, specially so Cam can help, try the 'gentle leader' it helps to teach them not to yank, and its not a choke chain. works really well so he won't over power Cam walking. :)

The Sanchez Family said...

He's sooooo gorgeous! Can't wait to meet him!!!! He'll always have his floppy ears right? Do they usually clip Great Dane ears...LOVE his!

Julie said...

Cain is soooo adorable. I can see how you would have fallen in love with him!!! And you guys are so funny - go big or go home - you got not just any dog but the biggest dog you could get! I have a friend who breeds Great Danes and tells me over and over again all the ways in which they are the best dogs in the world. Congratulations!!!!!

sheree said...

Nutty- these pics were actually taken before Cam even knew about Cain. I am going to attempt some buddy shots with those two later today!

Jen- his ears will always be floppy. A lot of people do clip their ears (and I DO like that look) but a lot of people find it to be cruel (which I can also understand!) We'll leave his ears in tact. It adds to his goofy personality!

~aj~ said...

Some people have baby fever, but Sheree you are giving me puppy fever...for real! Gosh, Cain is just SOOO cute!

I had no idea about your almost break-in. That is just terrifying and I got chills as I was reading about how you and Nguyen reacted because I think that has to be one of every parent's worst fears. So glad you have an alarm. I've got to do a much better job at always making sure our doors are locked.

Enjoy your puppy!!!

Kyla said...

Wow, what a scary incident!! I'm glad it all turned out okay and you got a puppy out of the deal. LOL.

Lisa said...

I am so glad you area all ok... and Cain is beautiful!!! What a lucky guy Cam is :)