Coming Soon...Open Heart Surgery!
5:06 PM Posted In gabby , heart problems , open heart surgery 18 Comments »:(
Gabby had a follow up appointment today with her cardiologist. All looked well (they did an EKG) but unfortunately, her weight gain (or lack thereof) raised some concern. She is starting to fall off of her curve which suggests her heart is working a little too hard and she is burning all of the calories she is consuming and then some.
Though her EKG looked good, he decided to call in a sonographer to do an ECHO. The ECHO confirmed that though the holes are not getting larger, they're also not getting any smaller. Although, I am happy to report one did close, YAY! He says the others will not close on there own and he doesn't want her to fall off the chart anymore than she already has.
The fact that Gabby has been so alert and energized these past nine months has kinda sent me down a road of wishful thinking. I didn't want to go that route, but of course, I did. I psyched myself up and thought she probably wasn't going to need this surgery. No such luck though.
I have to admit, it will be nice to get this over with. And, I have a great feeling that once she has this surgery, she will achieve her milestones much quicker which will be really exciting. Of course, no mother wants to hear that her baby has to have open heart surgery, but I guess it's par for the course (well...our course, anyway).
Her cardiologist had us get a chest xray and he will be sending that, along with today's EKG and ECHO to UCSF (dude...that's a lot of acronyms). The doctors at UCSF will ultimately decide when to schedule her for surgery. Hopefully they will get back to our cardiologist in a timely manner so we can get this marked on the calendar.
I am surprisingly calm...for now. My biggest worry right now is how I will manage being in S.F. for however long we'll need to be there along with Cameron, school, etc... I think I need to go take a yoga class!
Anyway, that's the update! I'll continue to keep you all updated on what's going on. Hope everyone is having a fantastic week.
Ciao.





18 comments:
Sheree, I'm sorry to hear about Gabby, but I'm sure she will do great. She has at everything in her life, this is just one more thing she is going to blow us all away at.
Listen, if you need the aunties to come up and take care of Cameron or help out in any other way, you just let me know. I have extra vacation this year and I will take time and come up and help you out anyway I can. Just let me know. One thing you do not have to worry about is who is going to help you out. So for sure, let me know.
Love,
Aunt Nutty
I'm sorry Sheree :( But it sounds like she is in great hands, we will be praying for her!
Gabby is so adorable. I know she will do just fine with her heart surgery.
Sheree, I'm sorry to hear that they will be going forward with the surgery. But, I think she'll bounce right back! She's so strong and OH SO CUTE! I'm half way between Sacramento and S.F., in Fairfield, so let me know if there is anyway I can help at all!
I'm praying for you and Gabby. Open heart surgery on your baby is a scary thing to face. I'm sure she will do excellent and bounce back fast!
And if you need anyone to keep you company while your at UCSF just give me a call. I'm only 45 mins away and I have no problem bringing you coffee or keeping you company in the waiting room if you need someone there!
((Hugs))
"sent me down a road of wishful thinking"
It is not wishful thinking sweet Sheree! It's called being a mom...hang in there!
Sheree, I know Gabby will do great! We are all here for you to lean on and I will pray for Gabby as much as possible. It's okay if at some point you aren't as calm, just take it day by day :)
I definitely know you didn't want to get that news!! Truthfully, having been throught OHS with Lily, I didn't realize how much her stamina and growth had been impeded until after her surgery. While the day of her surgery was truly the most difficult day of my life, it was a day I knew we had to go through in order to keep our sweet little girl.
I will keep you all in my prayers. Please keep us updated!!
Oh yea...I've said it before and I'll say it again...that is one adorable little girl you have!!!!!
How nerve-wracking! I guess the good news is that once it is done, it is DONE and the cloud of it can stop hanging over your head. You'll have lots of people praying for that little heart and those surgeons' nimble fingers, that's for sure!
Wow. I can totally relate. For me, it was like once we made it past the first few months, I thought we were in the clear for OHS. I admire your positive atitude so much.
I'd like to talk to you more about how the weight gain issue led to the decision to move forward with surgery. I've been worried about M, but her heart is "supposed" to be ok for now. I can't help but wonder if we need a second opinion.
I too wonder about the weight gain thing. Joaquin is fortunate in that he doesn't have a heart issue but he is in the low percentile for weight. He's a little guy and also very mobile these days so I guess he's burning a lot of his calories throughout the day which keeps his weight down.
Also, you asked about the wheat. We had Joaquin screened for celiac and it came back negative but we are still avoiding it for the first 2 years just to be on the safe side since it's a high allergenic food.
Great to hear from you! Let me know when your schedule slows down!!!!
Sheree, I have nothing but good feelings that this is getting addressed so soon (as scary as it can be) I can tell you how lucky you are that they are sending you to UCSF! I have had nothing but good visits and encouragements when I go there. If there is anything that I can do for you or your family please let me know, I will help any way that i can, but keep your head up that little one of yours is one heck of a fighter and that is most of the battle.
*Good and calming vibes*
Mandy
I'm so sorry Sheree, my thoughts will be with you and baby Gabby. I can't imagine what you are going through, but as a mother to a mother...I'd do anything to keep my baby healthy. She's a strong girl, she'll come out of this even stronger :)
Yay Sheree so glad to see you back!!!
I don't know whether to say yay or nay on Gabby's surgury. Nay because surgery for the little ones is so sucky. But like you said, yay for getting over that hump now. Gabby's such a sweet strong little girl, once she gets that heart taken care of she'll be taking the world by storm!
You're such a strong person, I'd be having a break down by now, your family (Gabby especially) is so lucky to have you!
*Hugs*
UCSF is great! look what they have done for MacKenzie. Ask the social worker about staying at the Koret family house.. Any questions call me..
First of all, she is just a doll - that is an adorable shot of her! I am so sorry she needs surgery. I can only imagine how hard it is to hear that your baby needs surgery. Your family is definitely in my prayers!
I know I would also be dreading it with a passion, but imagine the relief you will have when the surgery is complete.
The princess will have MANY people praying for her...and for mama too!
Wow, that's a long hospital stay. I'm sorry she has to have it done at all...such a scary thought to send your baby for ANY kind of surgery, especially her heart. I know we'll all be praying for and pulling for your little princess through all this.
Hooray for her big birthday bash, though!
Post a Comment