Norman

1:17 PM Posted In 12 Comments »
I am not sure if I have mentioned Norman before...maybe?

In any case, Norman is a bagger at my local grocery store and he happens to have Down syndrome. Even before Gabby was born I found him fascinating. Partly because he is "different" but more because there's something truly wonderful and captivating about him.

I am not sure how old Norman is but I'd say he is probably in his forties...maybe even in his fifties. He is almost entirely grey but he still has his baby face so I could be totally wrong. I once saw he and his mother shopping together for groceries after his shift and she was, let's just say...elderly? So yeah...Norman is "older."

Anytime I see Norman at the checkout I make sure I stand in his line. I think he may have helped me a few times with my bags before I had Gabby and I am fairly sure I didn't say anything more than "thank you" when he was finished loading up my car even though I did think he was a sweet man. I just never went out of my way to make small talk. I wish now that I would have thought to strike up a conversation...

So anyway, since I had Gabby I have been on a mission to talk to Norman. It's been quite a trying task as I tend to shop later in the afternoon and Norman works in the morning. Bummer. A few weeks ago I was shopping alone and though I didn't succeed in getting Norman to bag my groceries for me, as I was pulling out of my parking place, I saw Norman struggling to gather all of the shopping carts from the parking lot. Now, I haven't cried about "Down syndrome" in a long time...like a REALLY long time. But for whatever reason, seeing Norman that day got me kind of sad. I started feeling bad for myself and for Gabby which is just STUPID. So what if one day her occupation is a bagger at a grocery store? The sadness was brief and I snapped out of my funk pretty quickly realizing that Norman was happy with his life and that was what mattered.

Today while Cam was at school, Gabby and I made a trip to the grocery store for some dinner items. I had Gabby in a sling and she was happy and cheerful and waving to everyone in the store. When it came time to check out, there was Norman. I was so excited to see him. I noticed that Norman was extraordinarily happy today. Usually he is very quiet and doesn't say much. Today he was laughing and having a grand ole' time bagging groceries.

I wasn't expecting much out of our interaction today since I only had one bag worth of groceries and wouldn't need his help getting them to my car (which would have been when I would have finally made an attempt to get to know him a bit.) But Norman surprised me. He took one look at Gabby and started chatting my ear off about two little boys (not sure exactly who the two boys were...it almost sounded like he was telling me about his two boys. He was so jolly and really made my day. Gabby seemed to enjoy his company too. I said to Norman, "you know what Norman? This little girl has Down syndrome...whaddya think of that?" Norman looked at me with a big huge smile and then bent down towards Gabby and gave her a very animated TWO THUMBS UP.

Norman made my day today. I am happy to have finally gotten a chance to interact with him and he with us even if it was just a little something to know we shared a common thread. Today certainly won't be the end of our conversations with Norman. I think I'll start shopping more often in the mornings, ha!

12 comments:

Kyla said...

Awwww! This totally made me tear up. I think I like Norman.

Cathy said...

Yep, tears here too. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you get to do lots of morning shopping...more Norman stories would be awesome!!!

Crittle said...

More tears here!

That was a great story, Sheree. I was actually thinking today about situations just like this.

The Sanchez Family said...

Tears here too! I think we need to plan a trip to Vic's too :)!!! Keep us updated on Norman!

Kristin said...

What a happy little story. Made happy tears spring to my eyes.

~aj~ said...

You'd think we're all pregnant because I'm crying too!!!

What a sweet post, Sheree! I hope you get to Norman a lot better...he sounds like a wonderful guy!

Anonymous said...

Sheree,
I know exactly who Norman is and it's funny, but he usually makes my day, too. Even if he doesn't bag our groceries, I always say, "Hi Norman," and he always responds in a friendly, happy way. It doesn't matter what the weather is like or how busy it is, Norman is always kind and upbeat and I enjoy our chats. He is a wonderful person and it is refreshing to see someone, anyone, who takes his job so seriously and puts in 110% into what he does all the time. Period. If only there were more Normans in the world, it would be a better place.
Deb

Dani said...

Loved your story to ree. Makes me kinda sad at the same time because I know Bri will never be that high functioning. So I am sad for her to be "Stuck" where she is. I am at a crossroads right now and I am trying to figure out what is best for everyone here but If I do what I truly feel is right then I feel as though I have failed. Failed Bri and failed my husband.. I wish Bri could function as well as Norman and Gabby, it would make decisions much easier on everyone. We need to get together to let the kids play one day. Maybe McDonalds for lunch?

Anonymous said...

Why am I just now seeing this post?? Sheree, I so wish you could get to know the 'boy' that got me into the special needs field. That child is the most animated, full of life person you will ever meet...and I bet the princess will have the same said of her!

tierd said...

Aw, so sweet!

Jade Creative said...

This is a lovely post... and your daughter is so sweet.
Have a wonderful day!
Darlene

Kele said...

Um, okay, two posts of yours, in a matter of 5 minutes that have made me cry... stop doing that!! LOL!
How lovely you got to visit with him. And the moment of saddness? Normal. I try and analyze my moments like that. I have figured out they derive from ego and pride, two things I don't want to have within me anyway. When I think about it that way, I am able to 'snap out of it' as quickly as you did!!
;-)