So tired...

11:15 PM Posted In , 15 Comments »
I am completely and utterly exhausted and soooooo beyond ready to go home. I can only imagine how sweet Gabby must feel. I hope you can excuse my lack of updates. Take it as a good sign though....she is so much more alert and herself, therefore, I have been staying at her bedside trying to entertain her. It's tiring to say the least.

.

Yesterday was a good day. She had fewer doses of morphine and when she wasn't completely out of it, we were able to interact with her and I even saw her smile a couple of times. She started eating solids which was a relief. The nurses were hoping to see a bowel movement from the princess but I was convinced her wasn't going to happen without a little...coaxing...and I was right. After a couple of attemps, she still had not "produced," so we left it alone for the night and worked on the issue a little more this morning.

.

Today was little more rough because the nurses stopped giving her morphine since it causes constipation, so not only was her belly irritating her, but I am sure she had pain everywhere else as well. Tylenol wasn't cutting it. After a dose of Miralax (which takes 2-4 days, WTH?) and another enema, she finally got a little relief. We saw an immediate change in her attitude and I was so relieved.




This is what the majority of the day looked like...but at least she was super alert and showing us how much strength she had! That was nice to see.



This picture was obviously taken after the birth of the turd. Happy as can be.


.
The plan for tomorrow is to remove the catheters from her heart and make sure there is no bleeding as a result. Then the draining tubes can come out and we can move out of the ICU! It'll be a little more uncomfortable since it will be a crowded room with less nursing staff but it's one step closer to going home so i'll take it. Gabby and I are ready!!



15 comments:

sasha said...

Way to go Gabby. You are getting closer to going home day by day. I know it can be exhausting Sheree but keep up the good work. Can anyone give you a break so you can get some sleep? My husband and I used to do shifts with my son. While one was with him, the other slept in the lounge or back in our room. This helped a lot.:)

2blessed2stress said...

Way to go Gabby! She's looking amazing!!! LOVE the foot pic in the crib ;) And the tongue pics to ;) hehehe!!! So glad to hear everything is going well for the princess, I was starting to get worried... from now on i'll take no news as good news! :) Cant wait to hear you're going home!!!!!

Unknown said...

I can't believe they say Miralax takes a couple of days to work. I always worked within 24hrs for Carly.

Gabby look absolutely gorgeous. Sounds like things are going well. Yay Gabby!

My name is Sarah said...

Gabby is looking so good. We are thinking of you Sheree.

Kyla said...

Is she chronically constipated or was it just a post-op thing? Miralax has NEVER taken 2-4 days to work for us, not even when KayTar first started it. Now she takes 2 tsp every day and it keeps things moving along.

I hope you are released soon, girl! I bet you are climbing the walls.

Jenn said...

Yay Gabby!!!
Sheree she looks fabulous!! I'm so glad 'no news is good news' I was getting worried when there was no update on the princess.

Here's to one step closer to home!

Cathy said...

Oh...it's sooooo nice to see pictures of that adorable smile. Yes, getting out of ICU means closer to home!! Hope that happens soon!!!!!

KOPE FAMILY BLOG said...

well i am so glad to hear gabby is taking steps in the right direction. Hospitals have a way of making days feel like months- so I can completly understand your despiration to go home. you are doing such a good job though. And I know entertaining a one year old in a box of a room has to be challenging. So I wish ya luck with that!

The Hapa Girl said...

Sheree, so happy to see her smile! I hope you guys make it home soon!

~aj~ said...

It's not every day that you get to read "the birth of the turd". Despite the seriousness of this post, that gave me a great laugh. :)

I'm so glad Gabby is one step closer to being out of ICU. Her smiles are just breathtaking...she is SUCH a trooper!!!

~aj~ said...

Oh, and about the Miralax. The first time Adam took it (and was taking it daily, I should add), it took 4 days to kick in. Those were some HORRIBLE 4 days, especially since they were in addition to the days of constipation prior to that. Anyways, just wanted to let you know that sometimes it does take a long time, unfortunately.

The Sanchez Family said...

she looks sooooo good!!!! come home soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sweet little foot!

I was thinking the same thing about Miralax...it's usually a fast act around these parts!

Can't wait to see the continued progress on Miss Gabby!

Crittle said...

I love these updates, knowing that all is going so well.

The "birthing the turd" thing cracked me up. I know of what you speak.

Monica Crumley said...

Thinking about you guys. Glad Gabby felt some relief... I love the after-photo oh, what a relief it is...