Reflection
3:05 PM Posted In down syndrome , gabby 16 Comments »
First of all, Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful Mother's in my life...you are all amazing and very much appreciated.

That being said, exactly one year ago today was the first time the doctor's told us they thought Gabby had Down syndrome. It seems so fresh in my mind, yet also at the same time, so long ago.
Looking back, that day was THE worst day of my life. Nguyen and I were absolutely devastated. I remember thinking I would never laugh again. I thought there would never be a day that passed in which I wouldn't cry. Our hearts were broken and shattered into a million pieces. Nothing would ever be the same. Strangers from across the world emailed me offering comfort and their own personal stories of traveling this unknown world of "special needs."
The emails and phone calls were truly soothing to my broken heart. Still, certain things these parents would tell me I would not believe. "One day you won't even think about Down syndrome... Your baby will bless your lives in more ways than you can ever imagine." I couldn't fathom it. I went to bed crying and woke up hoping it was all a nightmare. Over time, the nightmares began to fade and the words I heard over and over from the Down syndrome community began to hold true.
It probably wasn't until Gabby was around four months old that my heart was completely healed. I didn't think about all of the potential "problems" and worries anymore...I just lived everyday and began to feel the bliss I missed out on those four months prior. I was laughing again! Our life was finally back to normal...whatever that is!
It is hard for me to think about that very dark period in our lives. When I do look back, I can almost feel my heart aching. It's indescribable. I am just so grateful to all of our friends and family...and even complete strangers that reached out to us and helped us through. I seriously don't know how we would have gotten through it without all of you.
This blog has been my sounding board and has been the most amazing tool for healing I could have ever imagined. I know putting your heart out on the line is not for everyone but holy WOW, the things I have learned and the people I have met...words cannot explain. I am just in awe over the good in people.
Anyway, my baby is ONE. We survived our first year...she is happy, healthy, and TRULY the greatest blessing we could have ever hoped for. I can't imagine our lives without her. We wouldn't trade her for the world. We are head over heels in love with this little girl. A year ago, I wouldn't have believed me but...Down syndrome is pretty freakin' awesome!





16 comments:
Happy Mother's Day Sheree :)
I love the picture of Gabby, she is such a beautiful little princess.
Happy Birthday to Princess Gabby and Happy Mothers Day to you. You have been so inspiring to me. I read your blog and think wow this 20 something girl that was the flower girl in my wedding really has her S_ _t together and I could not be prouder of you! Cameron and Gabby are so lucky to have such wonderful parents! So have a great day, you have earned it!
Love you lots.
Aunt Nutty
You know one of the most amazing things about you, Sheree? Even when you were going through one of the hardest things in your life, you didn't let it completely consume you. In fact, I never even realized just how hard of a time it was for you because I remember you being so positive and loving, even during that difficult time.
It is so obvious how you, Nguyen and Cameron have been blessed by Gabby. It's also safe to say that she has been just as blessed by being born into such a wonderful family.
Happy Mother's Day, darling!!!
(And you're right...that is THE perfect party hat! I'm so glad she liked it more than Drew liked his). :)
Isn't where you are now such a wonderful place?!?!?! I had my moments of asking God WHY. After the fact I went through guilt for it. I thought "how could I ever have doubted that Lily was the perfect child for me". I've even let go of that guilt now too.
Now I just realize what a blessing she is. And yes, I don't see the Ds anymore..just my beautiful daughter!!!!!
Happy Mother's Day to an amazing MOM!
That is the most precious picture EVER!!!
Please tell me that one will be framed :)
Gabby is a blessing like no other.
I LOVE that picture. Gabby is so adorable.
Awe! Happy Mothers day, Ree!! You are truly blessed!
Jeez Sheree, that post moved me to tears! Such familiar feelings, the 'then' feelings, as well as, the 'now' feelings! It is something one can't quiet get unless you experience it yourself. I love the last line of your post, yet, again, something people just won't get if they haven't walked our shoes. I say to everyone, "We don't EXCEPT that Presley has Down syndrome, we CELEBRATE it!!"
Down Syndrome Rocks baby!!!!!
Love to your family, and my goodness, I just melt everytime I see pics of that Gabby, can she get any stinkin' cuter or more precious?!?!?!
Great post, Sheree. I can relate to your early feelings about Ds, but it's just a small part of our little ones. They are so much more than I ever expected. I guess we're all enjoying "Holland" :-) See you soon! Gabby's a beauty!
Happy Mother's Day, Sheree!
She is a darling and I'm so glad you share her with us.
I feel similarly about KayTar...there were many months where I felt like I drowning under the weight of it all, is my kid going to live or die, is this degenerative, what the heck IS it? But somehow it gets easier and I wouldn't trade it, ya know? Except the episodes...I could trade those. LOL.
I hope you had a fantastic day on Mother' Day! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us this past year, I have felt so blessed to have gotten to know you better and watch your beautiful babies grow. Lots of love!
Such a cute picture! SHe seems to be so happy in every picture! Happy Birthday!
Happy belated mother's day - this was a great post! And precious picture of your princess.
Just beautiful, mama's reflection and the baby girl. I'm so proud of you Sheree!
I have tagged your blog with the honest scrap award. Come by my blog and get your award (copy the picture) tell 10 HONEST things about yourself and tag 7 other blogs to get the award.
Dani
I agree with you completely. You've written exactly how I felt from the moment we heard Brennan's diagnosis through the first year. What an amazing journey!
Happy Birthday, Gabby!!!
Post a Comment