feeling better!
10:38 PM Posted In gabby , open heart surgery 16 Comments »
It's 11pm and I feel like today was a good day. Gabby woke up a few times and even did some of her quirky "gabby antics" that I simply adore. Just as I was submitting the last blog entry, mom came running in the waiting room and told me Gabs was awake and they wanted me to try and give her a bottle. She guzzled it down like it was the most amazing thing she had ever tasted! I was so pleased. Look at those bright eyes!

However, things took a scary turn after she finished her bottle. I'm not sure if she was ticked because there wasn't more milk for her or if she was mad that we laid her back down but let me tell you....she was NOT happy. She started thrashing around and trying to scream and her throat was making a terrible, TERRIBLE sound. She was gasping for air and I am not sure I have ever been more scared in my life. The nurse was freaking out and calling for help which was my cue to get the heck out of the room so I didn't have a heart attack. As I stepped out of the room, I heard the nurse yell "WE NEED A DOCTOR!" It was terrifying. I chose to walk out into the waiting room and collect myself. About ten minutes later, mom came and got me and told me everything was fine and she had calmed down. I was so relieved.
The nurses think the milk caused her secretions to thicken up a bit in her throat. This, combined with the swelling for the breathing tube was a bad combo. They ended up suctioning her throat which added insult to injury. She sounded so much better afterwards though...I'm just so relieved they didn't have to put the tube back in. That would have broken my heart.
I snapped a few pics of the machinery just so you all can get a glimpse of what I have to stare at all day long. It actually doesn't look that overwhelming in these pics but being in that tiny room makes it all seem so much scarier.


However, things took a scary turn after she finished her bottle. I'm not sure if she was ticked because there wasn't more milk for her or if she was mad that we laid her back down but let me tell you....she was NOT happy. She started thrashing around and trying to scream and her throat was making a terrible, TERRIBLE sound. She was gasping for air and I am not sure I have ever been more scared in my life. The nurse was freaking out and calling for help which was my cue to get the heck out of the room so I didn't have a heart attack. As I stepped out of the room, I heard the nurse yell "WE NEED A DOCTOR!" It was terrifying. I chose to walk out into the waiting room and collect myself. About ten minutes later, mom came and got me and told me everything was fine and she had calmed down. I was so relieved.
The nurses think the milk caused her secretions to thicken up a bit in her throat. This, combined with the swelling for the breathing tube was a bad combo. They ended up suctioning her throat which added insult to injury. She sounded so much better afterwards though...I'm just so relieved they didn't have to put the tube back in. That would have broken my heart.
I snapped a few pics of the machinery just so you all can get a glimpse of what I have to stare at all day long. It actually doesn't look that overwhelming in these pics but being in that tiny room makes it all seem so much scarier.

I forgot to mention- They did take her completely off of the oxygen but her saturation levels went down a bit so they put the canulla back in. No biggie. Also, I just fed her again and it was a way smoother transition this time. The nurse gave her morphine and tylenol before the milk and it made her nice and relaxed so no flip out! Sigh.
Okay, back to the room I go! More tomorrow!






16 comments:
Glad to hear she is feeling better. My own heart was racing just reading about your scare, so I can only imagine what you were going through. I am glad that the second feeding went better. She looks great, by the way. Still sending thoughts and prayers Gabby's way for a speedy recovery.
She looks great!
Sorry she gave everyone a scare. Our kiddos really like to keep everyone on their toes.
SHE REALLY IS LOOKING SO GOOD. I LOVED TO WATCH THE VIDEO. I NEED ONE OF THOSE CAMERAS! HOPE YOU GOT A DECENT NIGHTS SLEEP. BET YOU ARE MISSING HOME.
She looks so much like my Jax, dreaming away. She looks fabulous, little fighters, they are.
She looks phenomenal for a little baby 2 days out from heart surgery, seriously, I have never seen a baby look that good! Her coloring is phenomenal and she doesn't even have a lot of terrible swelling! I am so sorry about the scare but I'm hoping her road of success just goes on to continue!
She really does look amazing, Sheree. Outside of all that equipment, you couldn't tell by looking that she just had major surgery!!
How SCARY. Oh geez, I'd have peed my pants or something. Glad she's okay.
It is amazing how well and fast she's recovering!! What a lil fighter for sure.
So what now- how long does she have to be in ICU and hospital?
WOW- Sheree, what a strong woman you are. I am bawling over here reading all of your blogs and it's amazing to me how you've handled all of this. Wonderful for you to have mom and gabs to have G-ma there. I was glad to read (and hear from mom) that she is doing so well - what a blessing! And I was thankful and relieved to read that Gregory had family with him finally! That broke my heart to think of him going through all of that alone. Glad he's got support too. I am sending my T&P's constantly for you and for Gregory...
Love, Kelly R.
Sheree, Gabby looks wonderful! I'm glad she has done so well. I've been thinking about you guys a lot and praying for Gabby to continue to do well! Keeping little Gregory in T&P as well.
So glad you guys had a good day (minus the scare). She is looking so good! What a sweet girl. I hope each day gets better and better. I am sending prayers your way for a speedy recovery.
She looks amazing! So glad she is recovering so quickly! Hang in there Sheree!!
Great job Gabby!!! You did it!!!! Sheree, check out my latest blog post....if anyone deserves this, it's Gabby (and her mama!) :)!!! You both did it!!
Gabby is such a sweetheart, and she's such a little trooper. She's an amazing little girl, and you're equally amazing. I pray for a quick recovery for her.
She looks super-fantastic!!! I hope your little sweetie doesn't give you any more scares!! Still praying for a speedy recovery so you can bust outta that place!!!
She looks SO good... glad you all found a feeding system that works while she recovers!
I have been checking your blog regularly for updates, and I noticed it han been a while since your last entry. Just checking in on ya- making sure everything is going okay still. I will be sure to pray for gabby again tonight.
Post a Comment