how about an update?!

4:49 PM 13 Comments »
Sorry to leave everyone hangin' from the last post...everything is fine, GREAT even!





We haven't been up to much being that I can't really take Gabby out in public just yet. We've been hanging around the house doing a lot of this:





However, it has been really hot so we have been reserving the wagon rides for the evenings when it's a bit cooler out. Plus, TWO of Gabby's medications require her to stay out of sunlight so I guess it's best that we wait until the sun goes down ;)





So, about that rash...It got A LOT worse before it got better:







She would wake up in the mornings scratching her belly like crazy so I am sure it was REALLY irritating and probably had a little something to do with her lack of sleep. Luckily for her (and me!) Nguyen's brother in law is a pediatrician and came by to make a house call. He advised me to give her some benadryl and also called in a prescription for Bactroban. The morning after his visit, she was SOOOO much better and even slept a little better than the previous nights.



I am happy to report that the rash is almost completely gone. One less thing to worry about! However, now that I can check that particular worry off of my list, I have since added another. It seems that the cold that Cameron developed just before Gabby left the hospital and later shared with me, has now attacked my sweet girl. She seems relatively happy still, but I am a wee bit paranoid about pneumonia. Fingers crossed.

.

On Tuesday Gabby had her first follow up appointment with her cardiologist, Dr. Rivera and even got some sutchers removed from where she had her drainage tubes. Dr. Rivera said she looks and sounds good and on Monday we can start reducing some of the medications she is currently taking.

.

Nguyen was in Las Vegas from Saturday through Tuesday for his best friend's bachelor party and for his other friend's big fight at the Hard Rock. I still giggle thinking about Gabby and I sitting in my living room hollering like a bunch of males while cheering Danny on:



He knocked him out!! Way to go Danny!!
.
Nguyen came home on Tuesday and we are happy to have him back. Gabby decided she would prove me wrong of all of my complaining and only wake four times the night he returned. Little booger. This was a vast improvement from the 12+ times she woke up the nights he wasn't here to witness!
.
That being said, I have finally been able to catch up on some sleep. She is currently waking up anywhere from four to five times per night but just needs a little rocking and she returns back to sleep. This really is just like having a newborn in the house again. Remind me not to have anymore babies...I don't think I can handle much more of this no-sleeping business!
.
Today Gabby and I were bored out of our minds and decided to take a quick trip to the toy store to pick up a birthday present and to see if we could find something to entertain the princess. I figured we were safe to go on a week day when there weren't tons of people all over and I was sure to keep her in her stroller to avoid anymore nasty germs.
.
We found a new toy and Gabby is in heaven! It has a MIRROR and it SINGS! What could be better!?


(notice the finger in the mouth? DEFINITELY teething!)

This is what she does when she sees herself in a mirror. She kisses the heck out of her reflection. She's irresistable...even to herself!



I got something in the mail today...our billing statement from UCSF. I was a little nervous to open it because I wasn't exactly sure what we would be expected to pay...


but after ELEVEN pages medical hooplah, I found my portion:



Thank GOD for insurance!!
(that really big number that starts with a 2 is what my insurance covered.)
.
.
That's all for now...be sure to check out my post tomorrow over at hopeful parents!

13 comments:

N said...

OMG thank god for insurance is right! That bill would have been a quarter of a million dollar heart attack for me! I thank god for our insurance every day too...

So glad Gabby is doing better, the rash is healing and you are enjoying these summer days at home. Here's to more of the good stuff!

Troye Smith said...

She looks amazing! I love the pics of her w her new toy. Hoping she just continues to keep dropping those little wake up calls in the evening for you, and keeps doing so well.

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. I just can't believe how great Gabby looks. That Bactroban is great stuff. I just love the new toy that has her kissing herself. Sarah used to do that too with a mirrored closet door.

It is amazing how quickly those medical costs add up. I'm guessing that may only be the first of many EOB's you will get.

Catherine Finn said...

Insurance is a beautiful thing indeed.

Gabby looks like she is doing well. Glad her rash is almost gone. I hope she can kick that cold soon.

Love the mirror photos. Total GIRL! <3

sasha said...

Gabby looks great. The rash looked pretty bad..so I am glad it has calmed down. So glad you are settled now and up to regular stuff like shopping:). Gabby is such a doll! Love the pics

Lisa said...

#1 SO glad she is back to her old self and feeling (and sleeping!) much better

#2 What is the name of that toy?!?!

#3 As usual, she is BEAUTIFUL and I'd kiss her reflection, too (okay, you got me, I'd kiss the real Gabs) ;-)

The Sanchez Family said...

WOWZA!! That bill is CRAZY!!

I NEED to get that mirror for baby J....where did you get it? He would love it!!! We need a mirror in the house that Joaquin can enjoy!!!

Gabby is so amazing!

Kristin said...

She's so adorable with her new toy and her reflection. Irresistable indeed!

And woo hoo for insurance!!! We are so so so thankful for ours too...even without a bill quite like that. The one from Easton's month in the NICUs wasn't even close to Gabby's bill and it was still scary! :)

Julie said...

It did MY heart good to see Gabby smiling.

Candace said...

Thanks so much for the update! I'm glad to hear that Gabby is doing much better. She is a cutie pie! I'm also glad that are are getting at least some sleep!

~aj~ said...

My jaw dropped when I saw that hospital bill. Yowzers! So, so glad you have such great insurance.

And like Julie, it did MY heart good to see those smiling pics of your sweet girl. I'm glad the rash is better and she's starting to do better at night as well.

Kyla said...

Wow. Thank God for insurance INDEED, when you can get it at least. ;)

She looks great and I'm so glad the rash is gone. Keep and eye on it, though, it can colonize and reoccur. We had to fight it back a couple times after K's surgery and it still makes an appearance on occasion.

Virginia said...

Sheree,

I had some summer reading to do. One was very interesting (kinda long) about people with DS and how it effects their oral cavity. If you want I can send it to you (even though you probably know most of the info already. If you want it, just let me know what e-mail you want me to send it to. Or if you want I can write up a summary of the key points?

Also I can never watch fights like that; I imagine their poor jaws/teeth :( No matter what kind of occlusal guards they wear, that force is too much. I don't know what would make a person want to screw up their mouth like that! No...don't get it...not worth it...