a smallish update...
4:12 PM Posted In gabby , open heart surgery 12 Comments »
Just a quick note-
Gabby is doing well but it is clear that I need to be put on some sort of anxiety medication. My eyes do NOT leave those monitors and every time an alarm sounds I absolutely freak out. It is so not cool.
They removed her catheter and gave her some lasiks (sp?) to get rid of all of the extra fluid in her body. They are getting ready to turn of her blood pressure meds and the nurse suspects that they won't be turning them back on because she has done so well.
She opened her eyes for about fifteen straight minutes today which was wonderful. She wasn't the happy smiling girl I know and love but what can I expect? I was just excited to see her big brown eyes.
Her heart rate has gone down a smidge which was why I was so anxiety ridden over the monitors. I just talked to the nurse though, and she assured me that her levels are totally fine even though they are a tad lower than they were. Huge sigh of relief.
We're gearing up to turn the oxygen off completely and see how she copes. In a way this scares me even though I know she is breathing just fine and will likely continue to do so. It's like the breathing tube was a safety net and now that net is gone...I know, I need to chill.
A little info on Gregory- I overheard one of the nurses explaining to a doctor that he had a little "episode" last night where he stopped breathing (see why I am nervous about the lack of breathing tube?) So anyway...I guess that's the story. His family is here today so I am thrilled he has people that know and love him by his side.
Alright, well that's all for now. More to come!
Gabby is doing well but it is clear that I need to be put on some sort of anxiety medication. My eyes do NOT leave those monitors and every time an alarm sounds I absolutely freak out. It is so not cool.
They removed her catheter and gave her some lasiks (sp?) to get rid of all of the extra fluid in her body. They are getting ready to turn of her blood pressure meds and the nurse suspects that they won't be turning them back on because she has done so well.
She opened her eyes for about fifteen straight minutes today which was wonderful. She wasn't the happy smiling girl I know and love but what can I expect? I was just excited to see her big brown eyes.
Her heart rate has gone down a smidge which was why I was so anxiety ridden over the monitors. I just talked to the nurse though, and she assured me that her levels are totally fine even though they are a tad lower than they were. Huge sigh of relief.
We're gearing up to turn the oxygen off completely and see how she copes. In a way this scares me even though I know she is breathing just fine and will likely continue to do so. It's like the breathing tube was a safety net and now that net is gone...I know, I need to chill.
A little info on Gregory- I overheard one of the nurses explaining to a doctor that he had a little "episode" last night where he stopped breathing (see why I am nervous about the lack of breathing tube?) So anyway...I guess that's the story. His family is here today so I am thrilled he has people that know and love him by his side.
Alright, well that's all for now. More to come!




12 comments:
do you have any melatonin? that might help with stress and getting a bit of rest, you are probably so anxious due to lack of sleep as well.
you are so brave sheree, you have held up so well and are being so strong for gabby. is winn coming down at all? i hope your mom is still there with you.
i am so happy to hear gabby is doing so well, i have been checking for updates about every 10
minutes all day today. you are coping so well, i think a little anxiety is expected and normal.
i hope you can get a bit of sleep tonight (can you ask the dr's for something yo help you sleep?????)
im glad to hear an update about gregory, i was worried when you said he didnt have any family there!
i love you ree.
x
Those monitors are the worst...in the NICU too that's all you find yourself doing...looking at the monitors and not your kid. When we'd walk in each morning that's where our eyes went. I feel your pain for sure.
Too bad you're not a drinker. :)
I'm so glad to hear she's still doing so well.
Oh, honey, is it even possible to 'chill' in that circumstance?? I never could! Heck, to this day, when the alarms at Target go off, it sends shivers down my spine (sounds just the like the alarms in the PICU).
Thinking of you and the princess this evening and always.
Oh I hated those darn monitors. I too, watched them like a hawk.
I'm happy Miss Gabby is doing well. We'll continue the prayers.
You need some Xanax stat! :) I hope you do find some peace and calm soon. It sounds like things are going so well! But I know the feeling well of watching the monitor and freaking out when it goes off. I will continue to pray for healing and wellness for Gabby and peace and calm (and SLEEP) for you!
Hang in here Sheree, you're doing such a great job for Gabby and SO much better than I could ever imagine doing!! *Hugs* If you didn't worry about those monitors THEN I'd be worried ;) I'd be freaked about all the little steps of removing meds/oxygen/etc... too, that's scary stuff because it is the safety net, but Gabby's such a strong awesome little girl that she'll do amazing without it :)
I can't imagine how difficult it must be to allow yourself to relax during those circumstances. I'm praying for you sweetie and hope you are able to get some much needed rest tonight.
So glad Gabby is doing so well and thrilled that you got to see her beautiful brown eyes!!!!
Sounds like she is doing awesome...what a little fighter! I totally remember freaking out every time the machines made any sort of noise. Reding your posts and seeing her pictures brings back so many memories...our prayers are with you guys! She looks great!
She'll be your smiley girl before you know it.Hate to reference another "When we ..." story but ... When we were both in the NICU and the CTICU the nurses would all say they wished they could put a curtain over the machines and turn off the sounds for the parents sake.It is absolutely overwhelming but as she gets better and better more pumps leave and more machines get turned off.Signs of progress.Prayers continue.
BIG GIGANTIC HUGS!!! SO happy things are going well and smoothly for baby Gabby. I hope you can get a little TLC too. Can't wait for you guys to come home with your sweet baby girl and her new perfect heart!!!
Still praying for you guys and little Gabby girl. I'm so glad her heart is doing well! I hope you are able to relax a bit when she shows you how great she's doing :-)
hi, my name is heidi and i found your blog through a fellow blog. i just wanted to introduce myself and tell you that gabby is so beautiful! i am glad to hear that all went well with her surgery and she is on the path to recovery. it's a frightening time. my son had heart surgery at 5 months.
Post a Comment