We're home!
2:39 PM 17 Comments »
.Hi Everyone! We finally made it back home. It's been a long, LONG day and I am so glad to be done with the biopsy.
.
We arrived for our appointment right on time but weren't brought back to the exam room until shortly after 9:30. An actual doctor didn't see her until after 10am. Gabby was as charming as ever as she blew kisses to everyone that looked in her direction. Usually she is not in a great mood at the doctors office but she was a little ray of light this morning.
.
The nurses prepped her arms for lots of pokes with numbing gel since they could tell they were going to have a hard time finding a vein on her. I am so glad they did because they ended up attempting the I.V. FOUR times. My poor little love has bruises all over her chubby arms but they were finally able to get the line in.
.
We were taken to pediatric oncology to get the I.V. started. The room is actually quite lovely and fun with all of the bright windows and TOYS everywhere. Yet still, there is a lingering sadness that is undeniable once you walk in. As Gabby screamed her head off while the nurse attempted to get the line in, a little boy (about 5 or 6) walked over with his beautiful bald head, looked at Gabby and said, "It's okay baby. Don't cry." I immediately welled up with tears. It broke my heart. I found out later that his name is James.
.
Around 11am they started administering the drugs that would help Gabby fall asleep. I was a little nervous because sometimes kids with Ds require more medication. This was not the case with Gabby. She fell right asleep! I could have stayed in the room for the entire procedure but I started getting anxious with all of the beeping coming from the monitor. It took me right back to our week stay at UCSF and I wasn't in the mood to revisit those emotions so I let them get the job done and I sat outside with James and his family.
.
I was able to easily occupy my time while I waited thanks to my iPhone. I watched James play on the computer while he drank a diet coke (seriously). I am not sure what he was playing on the computer but I heard him say "oh shit" about ten times. No one corrected him and I giggled to myself. I figure he's probably allowed to say "oh shit" when he feels like it. He does have cancer after all.
.
About a half hour later, the nurse came out and told me they were done with the procedure and I could come back in. I walked in and Gabby was still out cold with her tiny little hiney up in the air. They took the sample from her hip bone right above her right butt cheek.
.
It took over another half hour for her to wake up and once she did, she was ready to ROCK. She literally lunged at me and stood up as if to say, "Let's get the hell out of here NOW." They watched her oxygen and blood pressure for a few minutes and then pulled all of the wires off of her. They gave her some juice and we were on our way.
.
The hematologist told me she would contact me as soon as she had some results, hopefully by tomorrow or possibly this evening. Fingers and toes crossed!




17 comments:
Waiting, waiting, waiting! So glad you had James to keep you company - and I totally agree. He get's to say whatever he wants :)
Praying you get AWESOME results soon! As soon as you mentioned the story with James, I welled up. I used to be such a tough woman until I kids! lol
Praying so so so hard. My thoughts will be of your sweet family tonight.
Fingers and toes crossed.Sending love,prayers and good vibes up your way.
I'm way out of the loop...I didn't realize that Gabby was having a biopsy done! Sending lots of healthy vibes to your little beautiful trooper!♥
I am praying for your family Sheree. I love the pictures and I am sorry to hear that it took them 4 times before getting it. :( Please give Miss Gabby a hug from me.
<3
Glad it went well!! Hoping you get the GOOD news soon!
Fingers and toes crossed....keep you in my thoughts. xoxo
Awww, sorry Miss Gabby had to go through that, but it sure sounds like she did very well considering all the pokes. That James is a crack-up! You're in my prayers!
I totally cringed when you said that poor Gabby had to have that done. I had the same procedure done about 4 months ago, and it was not fun to be awake. I am so glad to hear that they put her out!! I hope any pray that everything turns out ok :)
I really hope and pray that everything turns out o.k. with Gaby and there's nothing to worry about. I can just try and imagine what you must be going through.
Stay positive and everything will be fine.
I love love the pictures of Gaby in her Tulip dress, as well as the one in your last post. She looks simply adorable. Hugs to your little angel :)
James- you ROCK!
Gabby- you ROCK too! Way to go little superstar!
xo
Wow Gabby you are one brave little girl. You did great. I feel nervous just reading this post. I am praying for good news. Yes I hate getting an iv. We have terrible ordeals with that. Now I know where to try and let them know. I also ask for a highly skilled person to do the iv's. I say last times it took...blank number of times. They usually just get someone else right away. Anyways praying for good news so you won't even have to worry about any more of that stuff or shit... as the little boy says. Hugs. Love the pic by the way.
Oh, Sheree I can't imagine how scary this must be. You are in my prayers!!!!
Hi there ,I just kind of bumped into your blog.
Gabby is delightful!! Will be praying for her!!
We don't like this waiting so I can only imagine what you are going thru. Thinking of you all.
for some strange reason while I was making my girls eggs for breakfast, I started thinking of you. I have not been on your blog in a few months and thought I would log on and read. I couldnt beleive what I was reading. My heart hurts for your family. I couldnt imagine. but I know that gabby is lucky to have such a strong and loving momma. You will make it through whatever happens. And you are so fortunate to have such a wonderful support system. I know that there is not much I can do for you, but I hope it is comforting to know that your family will be in my family's prayers tonight. God bless the health of baby gabby.
Post a Comment