It's Signing Time with Gabby and Friends!
5:20 PM 4 Comments »
Today was a day I have been looking forward to for quite some time now. Many of you know how proud I am of my girl and her ability to successfully communicate with us thanks to American Sign Language. We owe a LOT of that to "Signing Time" videos and cd's. They are and have always been Gabby's most favorite thing to watch. We have been watching these videos since Gabby was about 6 months old and can sing every song, word for word as well as sign along with co-founder, Rachel Coleman!
.
So you can understand my excitement when I learned Rachel was coming to our hometown to put on a show! I snatched up some VIP tickets immediately!
.
Lucky for us, we received an email just a few days ago from the signing time crew inviting us to a special "Story Time With Rachel" for a small donation. Of course I jumped on that oppurtunity as well! Thanks to our good friends, Lisa and Sheridan, we got some front row seats for story time!
.
We sat down before Rachel made her appearance and I was just SO sure Gabby was going to lose her cool as soon as she walked in with her orange jacket and blue and orange taped fingers. I was picturing something similar to what you see on T.V. like when the New Kids on the Block performed back in '89 and teenage girls across the world were convulsing and foaming at the mouth...except that didn't really happen with Gabbers. Darn.
.
She was definitely aware that this lady was the same chick on the videos but I guess it just wasn't really all that exciting? Still, she listened and watched.
.
She checked back on me frequently as if to say "Is this for real?"

Haha! I get it now!
After story time, we had the oppurtunity to "meet and greet" with Rachael. Gabby is still sporting her "Back to school summer cold" and it definitely shows...
.

We had a nice chunk of time between the story time and the actual show so we decided to hit up Chipotle for some lunch. Gabby tore up some black beans and rice!
.


Sweet Sheridan

Handsome Joey

Mmmm...Rice!
Because we were so quick to jump on those VIP tickets a few months back, we had yet another oppurtunity to a meet and greet with Rachael before the show. But this time, she had "Hopkins" with her and Gabby was ALL about that green frog.


I seriously had to peel her off of him and she was not so happy with me. She kept shouting at me "AHKINS! AHKINS!"
We did get a little souvenir signed by Rachael which Gabby has read no less than fifty times since we got home.
Soon, the show was getting ready to start and the room was filling up with little signing people. Of course, because this was going to be the really fun and exciting part, Gabby decided it was time to have a nap.
Going...
Going...
Gone!
It was a lot of excitement for one day!
Thankfully, as soon as the theme song came on, Gabby perked up and showed me a little enthusiasm!

She wasn't the only one who partied a like a rockstar...
Although she stayed awake for the remainder of the show, I could tell she was fading fast.
I think overall, Gabby had a GREAT time and I am so glad we had the oppurtunity to meet a woman who has helped so many families bridge the communication gap with their children. A lot of The Sisterhood was there and I know we all felt silly, but there were several misty eyes as that theme song came on for the first time, myself included. I thought to myself "Why am I crying?!" But it makes sense...Without sign language, we would be so very lost. The gift of sign is SUCH an amazing one and one that I will forever be grateful for!





4 comments:
Soooo cool!! I'm jealous.
Gabby you are so cute:) It looks like you enjoyed it when you were awake:)
It was such a great concert! How cool that Gabby was with RAchel before the show, too.
melting heart over here *swoon*
Post a Comment