Update on Gabby- Tuesday, May 13, 2008
3:03 PM 10 Comments »
Yesterday we got the results from Gabby's ECHO. They see a couple of smallish holes in her heart. I asked if they were small enough to heal on their own because it is somewhat common for newborns to have holes in their hearts and, usually, they fix themselves if they are small enough. He says he thinks although they are not huge, they may be a tad to big to heal on their own so she may or may not need surgery at some point. I had already done my investigating before I got this news, so I kinda expected him to tell me my baby was going to need heart surgery. Pretty crappy, but what can you do? So, he said the holes pose no threat right now and that will NOT keep her from coing home anytime soon...the ONLY thing is this darn oxygen issue! So I got off the phone, relayed the message to nguyen and had another good cry. We are pretty sick of crying.

We went and saw her shortly after that phone call and I went in first while Nguyen and cam waited outside. Cameron had
still not seen his baby sister and was pretty confused about the whole situation. I was the only one in the nursery and the nurse asked if Cam had seen his baby sister yet. I told her no and so she said he could come in. I was sooo happy. I have been feeling so bad making him wait out there while mommy and daddy go in but he has to stay out. So he came in grinning from ear to ear. He told her "Hi Gabby! I a big brother!" It was too sweet. He told her he loved her and gave her a smooch. :)
still not seen his baby sister and was pretty confused about the whole situation. I was the only one in the nursery and the nurse asked if Cam had seen his baby sister yet. I told her no and so she said he could come in. I was sooo happy. I have been feeling so bad making him wait out there while mommy and daddy go in but he has to stay out. So he came in grinning from ear to ear. He told her "Hi Gabby! I a big brother!" It was too sweet. He told her he loved her and gave her a smooch. :)Today has been a really good day. I have been a dairy for the pasty 24 hours as my milk has come in and I have to pump since miss priss is in the nursery still :)

This morning, Nguyen, cameron and I went to the hospital to deliver Gabby's breakfast. The nurse had called last night and informed me that she would be under phototherapy lights due to a little bit of jaundice but I was expecting that so it wasn't neccessarily bad news to me. Anyway, when we got there, she was sun tanning so we didn't want to have to take her out from under the lights so we just kinda said hello and let her know we were there.
While I was talking to her, the pediatrician came out to touch base with me. He said she is doing very well and they have decreased her oxygen down to 50% which is great because she is tolerating that very well! He also said that her jaundice has gone down quite a bit from last night and hopefully tomorrow she will come out from under the lights. He informed me that they do know what was causing the oxygenation issues but honestly, it was a bunch of doctor talk and I really don't recall "what" it is that is/was causing the issue but he said it's a normal newborn thing...not a down syndrome thing and it should clear up soon. He says they will continue to wean her from the oxygen and get her to where she no longer requires it. At that point she can come home, YAY! I asked him when he thought that might be and he said they may try and cut the oxygen all the way out in the next two days and then spend one day observing her. SO, best case scenario, she can come home in a few days. I am not getting my heart set on that though. I would hate to be dissapointed AGAIN.

The genetisist just called and she is a very sweet lady. She told me she had a chance to play with gabby yesterday and based on the pediatricians notes she tends to agree with what they are saying. She went on to tell me I had a GREAT attitude about it to which I had to admit that today is "just a good day...yesterday was a different story." She said that is okay..it's normal to have good and bad days. She reassured me that Gabby is going to be a wonderful little girl who will ride her bike and play the piano if she wants to. It's just that it will be on her own terms. It was nice to hear.
So anyway, that's all of the updates I have so far. We will go back again this evening and hopefully get a chance to feed her ourselves and spend more than five minutes. Nguyen's sister offered to watch cameron so it will be one of the very few times Nguyen and I can actually be in the same room with her!
I will continue to update you all on her progress. This is going to be QUITE the journey but we know we have all of the love and support we could ever ask for!




10 comments:
Welcome to blogging, Sheree. And Miss Gabby is so beautiful...that bow is totally precious.
I'm sorry about all this bad news but I'm so happy to hear you see all the good as well.
I have a question: have they talked about her coming home on O2 at all? Easton did, is why I'm asking. I know you just want to have your baby girl home with you.
She is such a doll! That made me totally cry when I read how she will ride a bike and play the piano on her terms. So wonderful! My thoughts are with you!!
Gabby is so pretty! I hope she can come home to you soon :)
Welcome baby Gabby!
We can't wait to watch you grow up in this amazing family! You just need to hurry up and get home so you can get spoiled!
Love, Cori
kristin- I was actually going to ask the doctor that today but then he acted like she would come off of it soon so I just let it be. If for whatever reason it takes longer than expected, I do plan on begging them to let me take her with O2! ;)
Sheree~ The blog looks great and I adore all the photos of your Phamily:) (You are so creative with that name too!)I am looking forward to keeping up with yall and am glad you have a place to get all your felings out.
Love the blog name. Clever, clever!
Gabby is beautiful and I'm so glad you're blogging, like I said, it has been great for me.
I hope your sweet girl is home soon!
Love your Phamily blog! I agree, what a cute and orginal name.
So glad to hear you got some good news today regarding decreasing her oxygen. I was praying for that.
Loved the pics! She is simply gorgeous.
Amy
Gabby is so beautiful!!!! And she's all yours! I love how the geneticist put it...she'll be able to do all these things, just on her own terms. I'm so proud of you and Nguyen's attitude to the little surprise that came with your little princess. You are truly blessed to have each other, and Cam and Gabby are more than blessed to have you as parents!!! Thinking of you always,
Lisa ("your Canadian friend" lol)
Welcome!!
Your Miss Priss is lovely, just lovely.
She will be home soon, yeah!
Post a Comment