Do people with Down syndrome suffer?
9:56 AM Posted In coping , down syndrome 12 Comments »
I came across this on a forum I read and thought it was worth sharing...
Do People With Down syndrome Suffer?
By Kristy Colvin
Yesterday I received an email alert that brought up a discussion of Down syndrome. AskMen.com poses the question, "Would you keep a baby with Down syndrome? Does a person with Down syndrome really suffer in today's society? Should a test for this disorder even be an option for pregnant women?"
The responders of this debate come from all sides. The one question that struck me hard was "Does a person with Down syndrome really suffer in today's society?"
My answer is 'yes', but not the way most people who do not have a child with Down syndrome or mosaic Down syndrome think. A person with Down syndrome or mosaic Down syndrome does suffer.
They suffer from ignorance. Not their own-But the world's.
They suffer from discrimination. Not because they can not discriminate the differences between others-But because the world discriminates against them.
They suffer from communication problems. Not because they can not communicate- But because the world will not listenand communicate with them.
They suffer from misunderstanding. Not because they don't understand-But because the world refuses to understand them.
They suffer from learning problems. Not because they can not learn-But because the world believes they are not teachable.
They suffer from the inability to make friendships. Not because they are unable to be a friend-But because the world teaches their children to not associate with them.
Do people with Down syndrome suffer? Yes, unfortunately they do. But only because the world sees them as so incredibly different from themselves. If the world would stop and get to know-really know-someone with Down syndrome, they they would realize that they are no different than anyone else! Some may talk a little different, but that doesn't mean they don't know what they are saying! It just means they have trouble forming the words. Some may learn a little different, but that doesn't mean they can not learn! It means that like every single other person in the world, they learn at their own pace. Some may look a little different, but that doesn't mean something is "wrong"with them. Even identical twins look a little different from one another.
My son has mosaic Down syndrome. He is 22 years old. He likes RPG video games. He likes YouTube. He likes horror movies. He LOVES girls. He plans to have a family. He plans to have a career in computer graphics. He is a great writer and hopes to be published one day. He wants to travel. He would love to go to Japan. He likes hanging out with his friends. How different is he really to any other 22 year old?
This goes back to my statement years ago that became my Trademark:
The Only Handicap A Person Has Are The People Around Them!
The only thing people with Down syndrome or mosaic Down syndrome suffer from are the people in the world who do not believe they should be here in the first place.
___________________________________________________________________
So true. Anyway, just thought I would share.
I was talking with my housekeeper the other day. She is a very sweet woman. I give her all of our outgrown clothing, toys, and other things we don't need anymore and she sends them to Mexico. She told me last month that she was getting ready to send a big shipment to her country for the holidays, so if I had anything for her, she would appreciate it. Of course we ALWAYS have things for her to take off of our hands, and I am grateful that she is making sure they get to people who could really use them.
Last week she thanked me for the bags I had given her the week prior. She said "I like to send a lot of these things to special needs shelters in my country." At first, I thought maybe she knew I had a child with special needs, but then I realized I had never told her. Did she just know? I then told her, "you know my daughter has Down syndrome." And she looked at me with bright eyes as I said "did you know that?" To which she replied, "no, I did not...did you know I have twins? Both of them are disabled. My son is autistic, and my daughter is legally blind." I was shocked and I imediately felt a bond between us...one that wasn't there before.
We talked for a few more minutes about our children. She said something to me that I have been thinking about quite a bit lately. She said, "you know, really...we're ALL disabled." I looked at her with confusion in my eyes. She said, "think about it...for these children to have made it through a pregnancy, they have to be pretty strong individuals don't you think?" I agreed.
When you really think about it, the odds are stacked against these miracles from the very beginning. For something so small to push forward and fight to withstand a pregnancy and make it through to birth, there has to be some sort of super-fighting powers in them. These people fight to make it in this world, and they always will. What did I do to get here? There were no odds stacked up against me. In a way, I am much more "disabled" than my daughter. She is a fighter...she always will be. And me...well, I'm just lucky enough to be her audience and biggest fan along the way!




12 comments:
That's a great article, I couldn't agree more. And as for your housekeeper, she's 100% right, we're all disabled in some way or another, I know I am!
Thanks for sharing Sheree, I really enjoy reading about Gabby and learning new things about Downs, I didn't even know there was such a thing as Mosaic Downs, that's very interesting!
Wow. That was a great article and what you wrote was so touching. You're great and Gabby's great...and I just love your whole family. I don't know how else to say it.
Ok Sheree- we just HAVE to meet now. I love your attitude and share it 100%. Let's get our two babies together for a playdate soon. I'd love to meet you in person :)!!!! and who knows.....there could be a love connection with our two babes :)!
I think I told you right after Gabby was born that my very dear best friend's brother has down syndrome. He is almost 21 years old and even though he cannot talk, or ever live on his own, he graduated from high school with full honors and now works for Love and Logic. Like one of the young men in the article you posted, he is a great writer. Perhaps because he never could talk, he was able to cultivate epic writing skills. For a 21 year old young man, he is so in touch with his heart, soul and purpose. I read the pieces he writes for love and logic frequently. He is such a light in all of our lives I can't imagine my best friend's life, or even my own without him. When I was a kid, his journey taught me so much about my own.
The article you posted is very touching and all of the points you hit were spot on. I love your perspectives!
Totally had me all teary eyed!
That was great - thank you for sharing that article. And the conversation with your housekeeper - so true.
I think Gabby, and you, have alot you can teach your corner of the world.
Gabby is a blessing and hopefully everyone who meets her will feel the same, how could you not? Yay for these amazing kids that are fighters from day one.
Your housekeeper sounds nice! And a housekeeper does sounds nice :) Thanks for the hits earlier! I'll work on it.
This was a great post, Sheree and I'm so glad you shared that article.
Isn't it amazing that at such a young age Gabby is already teaching others about love and acceptance. She's going to do great things!!!
Yuck... you would know, you catch it 10 times more then I do!!!
What a wonderful post, Sheree! Thanks for sharing that!! Gabby will touch MANY hearts and minds in this world!
Post a Comment