Cardiology appointment recap!
6:47 PM Posted In asd , gabby , open heart surgery , vsd 20 Comments »
I scheduled an appointment with Gabby's cardiologist for this past Tuesday just to ask some questions and try and set my mind at ease just a smidge. I have been pretty nonchalant about all of this but being in that doctors office, asking those questions...it kinda hit me. In twenty days I have to hand over my sweet, sweet baby. I can't even begin to describe the ways in which she has touched my heart.
I know all children are a blessing to their parents but this is different. Again...there are no words to explain it, so I'm not even about to try.
Anyway, so there I sat with my notepaper with the scribbled list of questions I had for Dr. Rivera:
*okay so which holes are being repaired again?
Two ASD's (atrial septal defect), one VSD (ventricular septal defect), and a leaky Mitral Valve.
*how do they repair the holes? Sutures? Patch?
They patch the holes. Dr. Rivera then grabbed a specimen container in which he kept some sample patches. They looked like white cloth bandages...weird!
*Recovery?
(this is where I got teary eyed and scared)
Dr. Rivera suddenly took a more serious, somber tone.
"You should know that seeing Gabby following surgery will be very difficult for you. (GULP)
She will have one tube down her throat to help her breathe. There will be a tube down her nose for feeding. She will have a catheter. She will have four small tubes in her abdomen to help drain fluid. She will have an I.V. Her scar will be quite large...probably around 5 or 6 inches long down the center of her chest."
Bring on the water works! Ugh. This sucks.
I don't know why it didn't hit me until then. I mean...I knew this was going to be a serious procedure. I think I must have been in denial until that moment. My cheeriness I had when I walked into the office had quickly faded. I was sad for my baby.
There is one question I was NOT about to ask. Call it denial, I don't care...I wasn't going there. Still, Dr. Rivera asked "is there anything else you'd like to ask me?" I shook my head no. "Nothing?!"
Nope.
"You know, I can't pretend like I know what you're going through with all of this because I have never had to go through it myself but I would like you to know that in all of my years of doing this...I have NEVER lost a patient."
Really? (BIG sigh of relief)
"Well, no...I take that back...I did lose one baby but it was right at birth and I knew before the baby was even born that he probably wasn't going to survive...this baby was in BAD shape."
Apparently that was supposed to make me feel better...didn't really work though. Still, I am grateful that he has seen only one death thus far.
Dr. Rivera continued and told me that he has researched these surgeons thouroughly and has complete faith in their abilities. "Even in such involved procedures such as Gabby's, everything always turns out well."
"Oh, so Gabby's procedure is fairly involved?" (Dumb question right? Is there such a thing as an open heart surgery that is not fairly invloved? I don't think so.)
"Yeah...I'd say so, but honestly, everything is going to be fine."
I think I finally let out a huge sigh at this point. He made me feel a lot better and I do have complete faith that everything will go smoothly. Still, I had one more question before walking out of his office.
*We had planned a trip to Hawaii exactly three months after her surgery? Be honest doc...is it a bad idea?
"It'll be fine, just one thing though... you need to MAKE SURE you bring your cardiologist with you." (wink)
So there you have it. Everyday closer to June 24th brings a deeper feeling of uneasiness. I'm ready to be done with this.
I know all children are a blessing to their parents but this is different. Again...there are no words to explain it, so I'm not even about to try.
Anyway, so there I sat with my notepaper with the scribbled list of questions I had for Dr. Rivera:
*okay so which holes are being repaired again?
Two ASD's (atrial septal defect), one VSD (ventricular septal defect), and a leaky Mitral Valve.
*how do they repair the holes? Sutures? Patch?
They patch the holes. Dr. Rivera then grabbed a specimen container in which he kept some sample patches. They looked like white cloth bandages...weird!
*Recovery?
(this is where I got teary eyed and scared)
Dr. Rivera suddenly took a more serious, somber tone.
"You should know that seeing Gabby following surgery will be very difficult for you. (GULP)
She will have one tube down her throat to help her breathe. There will be a tube down her nose for feeding. She will have a catheter. She will have four small tubes in her abdomen to help drain fluid. She will have an I.V. Her scar will be quite large...probably around 5 or 6 inches long down the center of her chest."
Bring on the water works! Ugh. This sucks.
I don't know why it didn't hit me until then. I mean...I knew this was going to be a serious procedure. I think I must have been in denial until that moment. My cheeriness I had when I walked into the office had quickly faded. I was sad for my baby.
There is one question I was NOT about to ask. Call it denial, I don't care...I wasn't going there. Still, Dr. Rivera asked "is there anything else you'd like to ask me?" I shook my head no. "Nothing?!"
Nope.
"You know, I can't pretend like I know what you're going through with all of this because I have never had to go through it myself but I would like you to know that in all of my years of doing this...I have NEVER lost a patient."
Really? (BIG sigh of relief)
"Well, no...I take that back...I did lose one baby but it was right at birth and I knew before the baby was even born that he probably wasn't going to survive...this baby was in BAD shape."
Apparently that was supposed to make me feel better...didn't really work though. Still, I am grateful that he has seen only one death thus far.
Dr. Rivera continued and told me that he has researched these surgeons thouroughly and has complete faith in their abilities. "Even in such involved procedures such as Gabby's, everything always turns out well."
"Oh, so Gabby's procedure is fairly involved?" (Dumb question right? Is there such a thing as an open heart surgery that is not fairly invloved? I don't think so.)
"Yeah...I'd say so, but honestly, everything is going to be fine."
I think I finally let out a huge sigh at this point. He made me feel a lot better and I do have complete faith that everything will go smoothly. Still, I had one more question before walking out of his office.
*We had planned a trip to Hawaii exactly three months after her surgery? Be honest doc...is it a bad idea?
"It'll be fine, just one thing though... you need to MAKE SURE you bring your cardiologist with you." (wink)
So there you have it. Everyday closer to June 24th brings a deeper feeling of uneasiness. I'm ready to be done with this.




20 comments:
Hang in there - she'll do great. Modern medicine is pretty amazing.
Nothing you do can ever prepair you for handing your baby over to the drs. And I know like I just did yesterday, you will not breathe until you are with her again.. But Gabby, like Soli is strong and their mommies are fighters and they are just like their mommies. So like you told me, Gabby will do great! I won't tell you not to worry because that is our job as a mother, but Know you are doing the right thing for her and trust that God will protect her and guide the surgeon's hands and and have faith that she too will sail thru with flying colors. Please let me know if you need anything.
I didn't even think about a scar...duh! Man, I can't imagine how super scary this has got to be.
Her cardiologist sounds like the cream of the crop and I love his sense of humor. You NEED to bring her cardiologist to Hawaii. Genius! :)
I'll be praying for your little princess.
Oh Sheree!! I will be there with you in spirit every step of the way. I love Gabby!! Check out my friends blog, her daughter just had open heart surgery...it's at www.kangcrew.blogspot.com and Madi just got home from the hospital I think today. I think she goes in to detail about the type of surgery her daughter had so maybe it is similar?? Check it out.
Gabby is going to AMAZE you with her strength and courage and you are going to love her even more deeply (if that's even possible!!!)
Okay... the waterworks came out this evening on this one... Gabby is so fortunate to have so many people, especially her mom, dad, and big brother, who love her SO much (include us in that list!). And I know you (we) all are even more fortunate to have Gabby. She's a strong girl in good hands. We will be thinking of Gabby on the 24th and sending her our good vibes :)
I will be praying for Gabby and you and your family for comfort and peace...I know this has got to be the hardest thing to face...I can't say I have been in your shoes, but feel for you going through this...Gabby is such a little angel and I know God is going to carry you all through this just fine...Your doctor seems very good and compassionate...
You know there are so many families that have gone through this so ask the questions away...I know that always makes me feel a little better and a little more at ease...We will be thinking of you...
Wow Sheree, I don't know what I can say besides I too am in tears. Like I said before you have one strong little girl and your doctor seems very competent and reassuring. It's truly amazing what doctors can do now a days, your baby is in good hands. I will keep little Gabby and you in my thoughts.
You will find your way through this because Gabby will show you the way.These kids are far stronger than you or I and their capacity to overcome the obstacles leave us all feeling less than adequate.Such determination,in such tiny bodies.AV Canal was one of Zoey's many issues and although surgery and seeing her afterwards was indeed tough,before we knew it,we were heading home.So will you.Praying time passes quickly until surgery and even quicker afterwards.Thinking about the convention.I had planned going before Zoey was diagnosed but don't know if her immune system will be up to snuff.Who knows,maybe.3 hour drive for us.I'll let you know what I decide.It would be so cool to meet some of you and your darling children.Stay strong.Peace to you in your worried moments.
I think the waiting has got to be the hardest part. :(
We will be praying for sweet Gabs. I'll share her surgery date with my friends and add them to the prayer loop as well.
I know she will be fine, but it doesn't make it any less scary. ((HUGS))
Oh Sheree!! I'm so sorry you have to go through this and take on such worry. I wish I could make it easier for you somehow. But you guys definitely have our prayers and it sounds like you are in very capable hands!
Our hearts and prayers will be right beside you. By best advice is to take it hour by hour, day by day and to buy your little guy a play doctors kit. TJ loved it when he had his own to bring to the hospital - it made him feel included. Each photo you post Gabby is getting more and more beautiful. She is a strong little girl.
I don't think there is anything quite like seeing your child fresh out of surgery. But you know what feeling you're forgetting about? Relief.
The moment you see Gabby, no matter how many tubes or wires there may be, you will feel sweet relief at the sight of YOUR BABY.
You hang in there okay?
Praying for you Mama and the Princess.
*HUGS*
Gabby will do beautifully... so will you Mommy. Yes, seeing her post op will be difficult, take it from one who knows, but she will amaze you, even more than she ever has thus far, when you see how quickly and beautifully she recovers... it is amazing!!! God put a little extra courage and toughness in that extra chromosone that are precious ones sport.
I will be praying you find peace in the next few weeks, I know the waiting is nerve racking!!
I am sending my best thoughts to you and Gabby!
I hope everything goes smoothly.
Best wishes!
Loren
Oh jeez Sheree, now you're giving me the water works!!!
I can't imagine what it's like in this time leading up to Gabby's surgery, I hope the time goes by quickly so it can be done and Gabby can start on that fabulous recovery she's going to make for your trip to Hawaii!
Keeping you guys in my thoughts, I've missed your blog while we were sans internet, I'm so glad to be caught up!
*Hugs*
This is my first time visiting your blog... and the face of your little girl is addicting enough to come back again and again just to look at her adorable little sweetness!!! I have no idea WHAT to say to comfort, as I have never been through anything like this. I can only "imagine" and the imagining alone brings me to tears...
I so wish you all didn't have to go through this. But am sending up many prayers for your sweet Gabby girl and the doctors who are performing her surgery.
Post a Comment