returning to normalcy....kinda

12:16 PM 12 Comments »
Nguyen is finally getting back to his semi normal work schedule which he desperately needed to do for himself. We were talking about how it is so weird how the little things we used to do everyday seem so insignificant now. I don't watch tv or visit my favorite gossip websites anymore. Nguyen never watches basketball or plays video games, whereas that was his favorite thing to pass the time before. I think we both "woke up" in a sense and are learning to appreciate the things in life that really matter. It is amazing how it takes something so incredible to open your eyes and to realize how selfish we all are.



We went to visit the princess this morning and drop off some breakfast and lunch for her :) She was wide eyed when we got there which was nice. She gets more and more beautiful everyday. The doctor saw me ooohing and ahhhing over her so he came out to give me an update. She is doing AWESOME! They will be weaning her down to room oxygen today. They stopped the phototherapy for the jaundice last night and a lot of times the levels will rise up a bit after it is stopped but hers kept going down, so that is fantastic!

He didn't specifically say it, but I am guessing that if she does well coming down to room oxygen, they will just monitor her all day tomorrow and hopefully she will be home on SATURDAY!! Again, trying not to get my hopes up, but she will definitely be home soon. I can't wait! I can't believe she will be a week old tomorrow. Crazy.

note: A friend of a friend had this poem posted on her site and I really liked it. I like to believe Nguyen and I were handpicked for Gabby :)










God Chooses A Mom For A Disabled Child
By Erma Bombeck





Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures, and a couple by habit. This year, Nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of handicapped children. Did you ever wonder how mothers of handicapped children are chosen? Somehow I visualize God hovering over the Earth selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger.




"Armstong, Beth; son; patron saint, Matthew.
"Forrest, Marjorie; daughter; patron saint, Cecelia.
"Rudlege, Carrie; twins; patron saint…give her Gerald. He’s used to profanity."




Finally, he passes a name to an angel and smiles, "Give her a handicapped child."
The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She’s so happy."
"Exactly," smiles God. "Could I give a handicapped child a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel"
"But has she patience?" Ask the angel.
"I don’t want her to have too much patience or she will drown in self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wears off, she’ll handle it. I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and independence. She’ll have to teach the child to live in her world and that’s not going to be easy."
"But, Lord, I don’t think she even believes in you."
God smiles. "No matter, I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness"
The Angel gasps. "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"
God nods. "If she can’t separate herself from the child occasionally, she’ll never survive. Yes, there is a woman I will bless with a child less than perfect. She doesn’t realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a ‘spoken word.’ She will never consider a ‘step’ ordinary. When her child says ‘Momma’ for the first time, she will be present at a miracle and know it! When she describes a tree or a sunset to her blind child, she will see as few people ever see my creations.
"I will permit her to see clearly the things I see --- ignorance, cruelty, prejudice --- and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side.."
"And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in mid air.
God smiles. "A mirror will suffice."

12 comments:

Amy said...

What great news Sheree! Hoping and praying Saturday will be the day you get to take your baby home!

And I too believe that you and Nguyen were handpicked for Gabby. Not only is she such a blessing to yall but how blessed is she to have such wonderful parents to raise and nurture her.

Loving your blog too!

Anonymous said...

i just got done reading all of your blog.

first, our babies have the same birthday! i was induced last friday, and after 10 hours of labor and 30 minutes of pushing, she was here! i couldnt really feel much either and after i had my epi topped off for the 3rd time, they checked me and her head was right there! i wish i only had to push once. ha. also, we tore the same. and i do believe that recovery is harder than the actual birthing of the baby.

you are embracing everything that has happened and will continue to be in the future with such grace and optimism. that is a great way to look at things and it just means that you are a great mother and that you have unconditional love. you are a great and loving person. your family is beautiful and has such love. i can feel the love from reading your posts.

i cant wait to meet up sometime and have the babies meet up. it will be some time, but i can not wait to see her.

Anonymous said...

oh. buffalo kiss = jessica soha. sorry! :)

Kristin said...

She's such a beauty. I'm so glad she's doing so well, hope moving to room air goes smoothly and you get her home soon!

Kyla said...

Ooooh! I hope you get to bring your girl home soon!!

TeacherMom said...

Praise God for answered prayers! See, didn't Dawn and I tell you it'd be the weekend :) What an awesome miracle. You two will be the light of one another's lives. God had a special reason to bless you all with Gabby, and I'm excited to see how she will enrich your life!

G-Ma said...

I can't wait for Gabby girl to come home - there is just so much love waiting to happen!!!!

Anonymous said...

sheree - she is really so beautiful i cant wait to meet her. it sucks that i will be leaving in another week, as i wish i could be there for you in person every day -but hopefully i can still support you online with the rest of your growing online network of supporters. you and your family are so loved by so many people. i feel quite honored to know you in real life as well as being an online friend! you have always been an amazing friend since we were 10 years old and not a day goes by that i don't think about you whether i'm in roseville or london. you are such an amazing mom, i am so proud of you and i hope to be half the mom you are one day!

i love you so much!

x
ash

Katie said...

Hoping and praying the princess comes homes soon! That's awesome news about preparing to make the switch to room air!

Run ANC said...

Here via Kyla - congratulations on the birth of your beautiful girl. I loved the poem..you are blessed.

MyThreeBlogs said...

That's a great Bombeck poem... but you know, I don't even think of Down's kids as disabled... they can pretty much do everything a "normal" kid can. My brother just sang the Star Spangled Banner at our Mayor's innauguration. THey're just a little slower. That's all.

..Kris Naven.. said...

Sheree, I am so happy I found your blog. I got rid of my mysapce account, and have been doing this blogging thing for a while. I first want to say congrats on having another baby-she is a BEAUTIFUL little girl. I am so happy for you! I just read your whole blog, and I don't think God could have picked a better family for Gabby to go to. I know you guys' will take such wonderful care of her, and she is one lucky little girl to have been brought into this world to such a loving wonderful family! I am so happy for Cameron, and I can't believe how big he has gotten, I know he will make a fantastic big brother, and all the things you said you were worrying about with him-I don't think you need to. He will always be there to love and protect his baby sister. Just think of the impact that you and your family will have on those around you! I know you will truly make a difference-not only in Gabby's life but those who surround you as well. Anyways I just wanted to tell you congrats, and I have really enjoyed catching up on everything with you from your blog. If you don't mind I am going to add you as a link on my blog, because I look forward to keeping in touch. And even though we didn't really ever hang out in high school, we knew a lot of the same people, and now that we are mommies-we will always have that common bond. I wish you and your family the best, I will keep you in our prayers, and this poem was absolutely beautiful. Take care!

Love Always,
Kris