worried no more...

10:10 PM 18 Comments »





The past two weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions as I am sure most can imagine. I have been thinking a lot lately about Cameron and what Gabby's diagnosis means for him. I kept wondering how this would effect him in the future. Will he enjoy her like he would if she was "normal?" Will he be able to play with her? Will he want to play with her? Will they be close because of this? All of these questions have been running through my mind and worrying me.






This evening was the first time I let Cameron actually interact with Gabby since he has been sick. It opened my eyes to a whole new world of wonderful. Children are pure and innocent. They know no stereotypes and will not pass judgement...qualities I wish the rest of the world could possess.






Seeing him with her made me realize her diagnosis means nothing to him now and never will. He will never know differently and she will, most likely, make him a better person down the road. How many of us get awkward around people that are "different?" I know I do. Cameron will be the kid that can walk up to those that are "different" and make them feel anything but. I am happy that Gabby was given to us to make us all open our eyes, learn not to judge, and accept everyone for who they are and will become.

18 comments:

N said...

Sheree, your post is a beautiful expression of the unconditional love of siblings. Your baby girl is breathtakingly beautiful and Cameron and her are so precious together. I am happy that you are finding peace.

Nichol

Katie said...

Sheree-I second Nichol's post. I am so happy to see your documenting your journey, I enjoy reading your updates! I'm sure Cam is and will be a wonderful big brother who won't shy away from anyone that's "different"!

Kristin said...

Oh this post brought tears to my eyes, Sheree. I love seeing Cam and Gabbs together. Precious. He's going to look out for her, and love her no matter what.

Glad he's feeling better so I can see more of that unconditional love and adoration between the two of them.

Kristin said...

Oh...and who is Nichol? As I am a Mile High City Mommy too!

MyThreeBlogs said...

You're right. For kids what is, is & they don't think about it. My kids accept my brother, who has Downs, as Uncle Adam. That's just who he is; that's just how he is.

And Katie's right - it will make Cam a "better" person, able to deal with differences in a more holistic way.

Kyla said...

Definitely. BubTar knows KayTar is different from other kids...but to him, just like to us, she's just KayTar...the only person she's ever been.

Stacey said...

gabby is so lucky to have you guys as parents!!

Deanna @ oneagleswings said...

Sheree~I had tears, too. Those pictures are gorgeous and breathtaking. The sweet innocence of a child whose heart will forever be changed by the sister he was given. It's so obvious that she's loved. God bless.

Katie said...

Oh Sheree! If you only knew how much more love is waiting for those two sweethearts!!

Anonymous said...

The bond between brother and sister is a magical thing watch grow. :)

Love, Cori

TeacherMom said...

My God Sheree, those pictures are as amazing as your perception. I was in tears. I admire your ability to see Cam and Gabby for who they are; Cam and Gabby!

~aj~ said...

This post is just perfect. You are so right about the innocence of children. Us adults can really learn so much from them.

The pictures of Cam and Gabby are priceless!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful Sheree!

Lisa said...

I agree...that post made me cry...made me smile...made me so glad that sweet Gabs has blessed all of us with her wonderfulness.

Is wonderfulness a word?

Anyway, I think you put it PERFECTLY, Sheree. And even if you hadn't said a word, those pictures say a thousand words!

Julie said...

Sweet, sweet pictures. You captured such a tender moment, it touches my heart!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful, loving post. Sheree, you truly "get it"...it may have taken me a little longer, but you're bringing me right along with you on this journey of not only accepting, but also relishing the little something extra that came along with our princesses.

All the best and I hope to meet you and your family soon...

- Chrystal

Amy said...

I agree, what a beautiful, heartfelt post. Got me teary eyed too.

Enjoy watching the bond between your 2 children grow. There is nothing like it!

Margie said...

Sheree, This is beautiful, both the pics, and your reflections. When you feel overwhelmed with concern about Gabby's future, you can look back at these pics and see her thru Cam's eyes. He knows that the only thing Gabby needs in this moment is love. It is so obvious that this princess is well loved. As are you!!