just a little update to yesterday's post....
10:41 AM Posted In gabby , open heart surgery 11 Comments »I'm not sure I shared here yet, but I got a new Flip camcorder a few days ago so I have been taking videos of the kids like crazy. I just thought I would share this video of Gabby perfecting her newly acquired milestone...
I have heard from many parents and doctors that it is not uncommon for babies to lose some of their milestones after open heart surgery. Infants tend to stop smiling for a month or two, or self-feeding may be placed on the back-burner. I can't tell you how excited I am that Gabby has finally learned how to get around. I'll be so sad if she completely forgets how to crawl. I know she'll figure it out again soon, but still, I'm sad.
In other news, we're heading out for San Francisco tomorrow evening. I'll be running around all day like a chicken with its head cut off trying to pack and compose lists of things I think i'll need. I can't tell you how many novels, puzzles, and sudoku games I have bought and really...will I even be able to concentrate on such things? Doubtful. That's another big worry on my mind. How does a parent stay sane while their child is having open heart surgery? I don't drink so that's out of the question. Maybe I'll take a unisom and try and sleep in the waiting room. Ugh.
I just can't believe the day is finally around the corner and no one has called to cancel.
In the past, when our surgery date was approaching only to be rescheduled days before, I would start to get a little anxious about a week prior to the big day. This time was different. I think I was so sure it wasn't going to happen that I was in denial. Well here it is and the freak-out session hit me at the least appropriate time today. How embarrassing.
I decided to make a trip to Target to get a couple of last minute items for our trip like travel loofahs (they really make them...check em' out at target!) and such. Before I checked out, I thought I would look for something for Gabby to keep in her bed with her to help comfort her. I ended up finding the cutest plush musical giraffe. When I pulled the pull string it began to play "twinkle twinkle little star," and for whatever reason, this set me off. My eyes welled up with tears and I thought "this is perfect for Gabs." I'm sure the other customers at Target thought I was looney tunes crying over a pink giraffe and cuddling it in my neck, haha. I truly think it will bring her comfort being that her mobile above her crib plays the same song...maybe it'll feel a little like home. Probably wishful thinking, but oh well.
Today, I did some reading of blogs I don't normally follow. I found a few written by parents who have gone through open heart surgery with their children and I have to say, it freaked me out more than it comforted me. As of now, I am terrified of what will happen after surgery. Anyone who has seen my girl in the last couple of months knows she is pretty feisty. I know she'll be sedated and all of that but what happens when she becomes a little more coherent? She won't leave a bow in her hair for goodness sakes...tubes down the nose and coming out of the neck and chest?!! I'm having a panic attack even thinking about it.
Anyway, these are my late night thoughts...
This will no-doubt be a very eventful week or two for my blog, so get ready to read!! And please comment. Knowing I have readers out there thinking of Gabby is very reassuring.
Goodnight.




11 comments:
Hi
Best wishes for Gabby. You will manage. My son had surgery two months ago and it's tough..I am not going to lie, but you will manage. I think it's good that you read stories. Just think of Gabby having the best possible outcome.
Take care of yourself too.
ps. I have list of items to take and what to look out for on my blog if you are interested.
I'll be here, thinking and praying for your sweet Gabby. She's such a cutie pie! Hang in there!
Oh sweet friend... I wish I was there to help you during this. I am only a call or text away :) We will be praying for you. Much love to you all!
Cori
I will be thinking of you, your family, and beautiful little Gabby.
When KayTar had her little surgery, our ENT said, "You guys have the most expensive babysitters in the world watching her right now, taking advantage of it!" It made me laugh, though I still sat in the waiting area with my heart in my throat and hers was a little surgery, really. You'll make it, though, I know you will. You'll be strong because you know Gabby needs you to be.
Call me, text me, whatever. Sometimes it just helps to give updates or lack of updates to someone. I'm DEFINITELY thinking of you guys!
I'll be thinking of you and sweet Gabby. Hugs!!
Hey sweetie - I just can not even imagine what your going through right now. I want you to know that I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Please call me or text me if you want to talk.
HUGS!!!
-Carrie
I'm praying for your family and thinking about you lots. We will all be here for you, stay strong and keep faith.
WELL HUN, I THINK IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LONGEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE. I WILL BE SENDING YOU POSITIVE ENERGY ALL DAY. BUT I DEFINETLY DONT RECOMEND THE UNISOM. U STILL WONT SLEEP AND WILL BE LOOPY. NOT A GOOD COMBO. GET SOMETHING FUN LIKE THE GAME SCRATCHERS. THE ONES THAT TAKE A WHILE. OR A PORTABLE DVD PLAYER WITH A MOVIE U REALLY WANNA SEE. I WANTED TO SHARE A QUICK STORY. WHEN I WAS 4, I HAD TO HAVE EMERGENCY SURGERY TO HAVE MY APPENDIX OUT. I WAS TERRIFIED AND SO LITTLE, BUT MY AUNT BROUGHT ME A STUFFED POLAR BEAR. I REMEMBER IT MAKING ME FEEL BETTER. AND WHEN I WOKE UP FROM THE SURGERY, THE BEAR HAD THE SAME BANDAGES ON HIM, THAT I HAD ON ME. IT REALLY HELPED. I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT. AND I STILL HAVE THE BEAR TO THIS DAY. I THINK YOU ARE A WONDERFULL MOM TO THINK OF SOMETHING LIKE THAT. I KNOW GABBY IS LITTLE, BUT I DO THINK IT WILL BE COMFORTING TO HER. I WISH YOU ALL THE STRENGTH IN THE WORLD, AND MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.
We will be praying and we'll have everyone we know praying too!!!!
Oh Sheree, your family (and especially sweet Gabby) are in my constant prayers this week.
I know this will not be an easy journey, but I do know that Gabby is in unbelievably capable hands and you've got an immense amount of love and support right now.
Sending lots of love your way!!!
Post a Comment