10/13

9:41 AM 3 Comments »
"so I can tend to be a pessimistic person, a quality I really want to change about myself...I always imagine myself in your situation and wonder how I would handle all of the struggles you have had to endure since Gabby was born. I guess my question to you is- when it comes to having a daughter with DS- would you consider the glass half full or half empty? and how do you keep your family positive about the future?"
.
Thanks for your question, Mandy!!

Basically, I cannot be a pessimist. I don't think I ever have been and having Gabby has only made my optmistic side more intense. I think it's a survival thing, really. Of course those first initial weeks were rough and I definitely went through all of the "what ifs" and the "my life is over" crap but I got over it quickly.
.
Of course, I have days where I wonder about our future...Gabby's future. I would be lying if I said I didn't have moments of sadness and aprehension. But for the most part, I would consider my glass overflowing. I truly feel blessed. There will be struggles, I know. However, I am certain the oppurtunities and adventures Gabby will take us on will far surpass those struggles.
.
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us. "

-Helen Keller

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes."

-Hugh Downs

3 comments:

Katie said...

I love everything about this post!

Unknown said...

This is a great post!

KOPE FAMILY BLOG said...

i am glad you liked the post. i imagined you would have an answer like that. i think the incredible love a child gives is enough to endure anything!