Monterey Bay Aquarium!! (Monterey part II)

4:50 PM Posted In , 5 Comments »
As I mentioned in my previous post, last weekend we headed out to visit our friends who happen to live in very close proximity to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Originally, we had planned on going to the aquarium with them but unfortunately, we had to get back home in time to prep for the 2009 Buddy Walk and Chrystal had to show off and run a 10k that morning so our schedules were a bit conflicted. :)

.

Despite my lack of photographic evidence, we did, in fact, get a chance to meet up with C&D but dummy me forgot to bring my camera. Just to prove it, check out her post about us here. We had a blast hanging with them and Nguyen was thrilled that they chose to take us out to SUSHI for dinner!

.

The next morning, we headed down Cannery Row to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. You may recall we, "The Phamily" took a mini vacation and visited the aquarium around the same time last year. Wow...I can't get over how much the kids have changed!

.

Now, I have to admit something- My camera died after being at the aquarium for only a few minutes, so some of these photo's are borrowed from the internet including this one:





.

Okay, now that I got that little disclaimer out of the way...





.

Gabby and daddy hung out while Cameron and I explored every nook and cranny. Lucky for us, the aquarium wasn't all that crowded when we first got there so we were able to see quite a bit without getting shoved out of the way.

.

.

Cameron was a little leery of some of the kids activities that invloved dark crawl spaces:





.
Fortunately, I was able to persuade him into going in...but not without crawling in myself (with a baby strapped to my back) The view was worth it though!


.

They even had an area set up that made you feel like you were underwater in a submarine. Cameron enjoyed pressing all of the little buttons on the computer screen like he was a real-life submariner.
.

.
We saw a lot of interesting sea creatures but this one was one of my most favorites- mostly because the shriek Nguyen let out when he saw it was quite entertaining.



.
In this tank, they had a scuba diver swimming around amongst all the fish. Cameron thought that was pretty much awesome. (couldn't get a pic of the diver...I tried!)
.

.
We were also lucky enough to see the sharks, tuna, and mahi mahi get fed. The school of sardines were amazing... (this is a borrowed pic but you can see the school over there on the bottom right)
.

.
My "must see" at the aquarium this year was the new seahorse exhibit. I was not disappointed. They had several different species and I couldn't get over how calm and soothing they were to watch.
.

.
This guy was my absolute favorite. He is a leafy dragon seahorse and blends in very well with his surroundings.
.




.

These guys were dwarf seahorses and maybe you can't tell from the pic, but they were itsy bitsy and SO cute!

.

.

This was the last pic I took before my camera died, but it was a good one. Nguyen thinks it would be lovely to have a jelly fish exhibit in our room.
.


.

We all had a great time. Gabby was doing this when we left:

.

.

Those jelly fish were really relaxing!

Thank you again,

Chrystal, Dwight, and Malea


for yet another super-fun trip. Next time we'll make sure we don't have to get home so soon so we can spend more time and maybe we can go back to that little cafe with the chocolate peanut butter cake?! Haha.

5 comments:

Aunt Nutty said...

Looks like lots and lots of fun!

The Hapa Girl said...

Hey what are you carrying Gabby in? The kiddos here want to go to the Aquarium...will need to get info from you later!

Kristin said...

I wanted to say things about how nice the aquarium looks...the soothing seahorses, sweet Gabbs asleep on your back but now I can't stop thinking about the chocolate peanut butter cake you had to go and mention. Mmmmmmmmmm!

Crittle said...

That cake! nom nom nom

We were so very gald to have you. Anytime, anytime. Carmel won't know what hit it!

~aj~ said...

Okay the picture of Gabby sleeping on your back...priceless!