round two: apology for the apology
4:15 PM 5 Comments »
In all honesty, that last post was 100% about me wanting to apologize for EVER offending anyone by words I may have used...I'm afraid that my earnest apology may be taken as an attack, and again, that is far from my intention.
.
While I am glad I am not the only person in this world who uses the term "special needs," the fact of the matter is that it does offend many people. Walking on eggshells is never fun but until we all can accept that our kids may be "labeled" from time to time (even in the most innocent ways, ie: special needs, happy, sweet. etc.) eggshells will be breaking beneath my feet.
.
To all of my wonderful mama-friends out there- I love you all...we're all in this together.
-Sheree
.
While I am glad I am not the only person in this world who uses the term "special needs," the fact of the matter is that it does offend many people. Walking on eggshells is never fun but until we all can accept that our kids may be "labeled" from time to time (even in the most innocent ways, ie: special needs, happy, sweet. etc.) eggshells will be breaking beneath my feet.
.
To all of my wonderful mama-friends out there- I love you all...we're all in this together.
-Sheree




5 comments:
This is Joyce. Interesting. Today's headline in the Cleveland Plain Dealer for the Dear Abby column reads: "Special needs kids need special adults". I was not offended by that. I have been in this role for a few more years than most reading and I can share that over time terms do go in and out of being PC. Long ago I determined that as long as it was not being used in a deragatory way which is the case most often with the "R" word, then it is acceptable. I understand that all kids have their own unique needs, and they are all special but I do think we need some term to use in an endearing, supportive way.
I definitely didn't think it was any kind of attack..I just know you have a sweet and tender heart and I (personally) didn't think you had anything to apologize for and wanted you to know that.
I think OUR feelings about words is what turns them into something negative. There is never going to be a perfect term that makes everyone happy, I just choose not to worry about that. Don't we all have enough to worry about already?
I love your sincere and caring heart, Sheree. You are one of a kind.
Well I missed the whole thing and am just catching up on you blog now. I do use the term special needs and really didn't know that it was not PC. Truly if people know you and follow your blog on the regular they know that you are sweet and kind and and advocate for our children and that you would never intend to make anyone feel uncomfortable or upset. Please!!(how frustrating is that). I don't think you really have to apologize for it because I don't think you did anything wrong. There are WAY worse things happening in the world...
Sheree, you're an awesome mom and we're all learning as we go... I can't imagine how many people I've offended in my past life (pre-JM) by using labels loosely like "retarded" (in the medical sense), "handicapped", "Downs kids", etc, before having JM. It's a learning process, isn't it? I don't think "special needs" is a taboo word. It depends on how it's being said and the context. Some kids really do have needs beyond what is typical. We can only be so sensitive and we'll always risk offending someone. Everyone's sensitivities are at different places. One mom that blogs doesn't mind the "R" word and I hate it. Neither of us is wrong or right. Keep on keepin' on... So glad to see you guys last weekend!
Post a Comment