a week with Journee
9:40 PM Posted In cameron , dogsitting 1 Comment ».
.Great Danes have always been my most favorite dog breed and I have dreamed of having one for...forever. So it only seemed right when Nguyen's massage therapist told me she was going away on her honeymoon that I offer my services. I am SO glad I did!
.
Never in my life have I met such a well-mannered, affectionate dog. Seriously, my dream of owning a great dane might come true sooner rather than later thanks to this dog. She was the epitome of sweetness and Cameron had an absolute ball having her around. Gabby isn't so much a dog lover but she tolerated Journee.
.
.The first night Journee was with us she was feeling pretty down about being left behind. That being said, I wasted no time involving Journee in what any girl does when she's feeling depressed: Retail Therapy. That's right...Me, Gabby, and Journee loaded up in my car and hit up petco for some rawhides and some lovies.
.
The next day she was playful and content and I was so relieved because nothing breaks my heart more than a sad puppy face.
.
.Every morning Journee would wake me up by walking over to my side of the bed and kissing me with her nose. That was my cue to get out of bed and take her for a walk. I have never walked so much in my life. (kidding) We did walk A LOT, though!
.
Having Journee around made me realize how much Cameron needs a big dog. We have our little guy, Sammy but little dogs aren't always so fond of children and that is no exception for Sam. Cameron and Journee, however, spent hours upon hours outside playing.
.

.
I can't tell you how many times I looked back there and Cameron was laying on the cement, right beside Journee talking to her like they were the best of pals. Journee seemed to enjoy his company as well. In fact, Cameron even helped Journee eat breakfast...who wants to bend down to reach their food, really? Sweet Cameron.
.

By the way, Journee has lots of tricks: she can sit, lay down, STAY, roll over, high five, and speak. Impressive!!
.
On the last day of her visit, I let Cameron know that Journee's mom would be coming to pick her up (and boy was I dreading this convo.) He put on a brave face at first but soon, I saw my boy sitting on the couch, lip quivering as he looked out the window trying not to cry. As soon as I gave him a big hug he had a HUGE emotional release and sobbed for a good hour. Talk about breaking a mama's heart. :( After the emotional breakdown was over, he went outside, grabbed a piece of chalk and drew a huge paw print. I asked him what he was doing and he said "I want to remember journee's footprint." Haha.
Eventually we said our goodbye's (and they were happy goodbye's...he snapped out of it!) and promised that we would visit with Journee again very soon. Journee's mom happened to tell Cameron on her way out that in about a year, Journee would be having puppies and she would really like it if he would have one of them. I have never seen him light up so bright!




1 comments:
What a great story and a great dog. I think Cameron really does need a dog of his own. Nothing like a boy and his dog.
Hey I might be coming your way on the weekend of the 24th after all. So I could do the DS walk with you guys. Do you have room for a houseguest?
Post a Comment