we're home!

9:12 AM 13 Comments »
And we had a FABULOUS time!!

The drive up would have been fine had we not run into traffic before we hit the freeway. Grrr. And then, there was another minor glitch when it came time for Gabby's feeding.




Note to self:




Just because baby drinks a certain pre-mixed formula, does not mean
baby will drink the same formula in a powdered version.
Oh my, it was a fiasco. We pulled over, I mixed her formula and began heating it up in the thermos of hot water I brought along. Five minutes later, Gabby is screaming, and the formula is still not hot. I decide I need more hot water, so I go in to Togo's. The chick gives me a tiny little dixie cup. Thanks.

So I come back out and try again. I finally get it to a decent temperature for Miss Diva. She decides it tastes like crap. I tried for about ten minutes. She wasn't going for it. So I send Nguyen into Safeway for the regular pre-mixed stuff even though we have no where to store it after I open the bottle. He comes back with it, but by the time I get it poured into the bottle, the hot water is no longer HOT, but more like luke-warm. Aghhhh! So again, I send Nguyen off...but this time to Starbucks for a venti sized cup of scorching water.



FINALLY I get it right, and Gabby sucks it down. 40 minutes later, we all get strapped back in the car and are ready to continue our journey. I made it just out of the parking lot before I heard




"I have to PEE, I have to PEE!!!"





You've got to be kidding me. By this point, Nguyen and I are both in a foul mood. I pull over at McDonald's and Nguyen takes Cam pee. They come back to the car. Nguyen cancels our dinner reservations since we are obviously NOT going to make it in time. Off we go again.



The kids slept for the rest of the way and finally we made it safe and sound to our hotel. It was pitch black by the time we got into Monterey so we couldn't enjoy the scenic drive. Boo.
We got in our room and Cam was super impressed
with the ocean view, but more so with these:



He kept telling me he had "nockulars" like Diego.




Gabby liked the room too.






















At this point, we were waiting for our bags to be brought up and all of us were starving. Nguyen had to venture out and try to find a grocery store where they sold the Princess's preferred formula. He went to two different stores and NEITHER one carried it. So he bought the "sensitive" formula and we just prayed for the best. : ) She ended up doing fine with it. She just didn't eat as much as she normally does, but she survived.




The room was so nice. We couldn't really see the amazing view we had because it was so dark, but we opened our windows and enjoyed the thundrous sound of the waves. It was SO loud, but SO nice. Everyone crashed hard. I was so surprised Gabby did so well. Superstar baby ; )



The next morning, I woke up to this:




And this little guy chillin' outside of our window:



And this is what everyone else was doing:



Finally, everyone woke up and we got ready for our day. It was about 9:30 when we finally got out and about. NOTHING was open. Nguyen and I came to the conclusion that everyone in Monterey must be really relaxed. There were no "store hours" signs on anything. I think people just show up and open their doors when they feel like it.


So, we just walked around Cannery Row and checked out the scenery.






















Finally, around 11am, some of the shops started opening. I have never seen more candy, candles, and chocolate in my life.














We were meeting some new friends who live in the area, so while we waited for them Cameron was begging to go down to the beach. It was a pretty crappy beach, but it served it's purpose, I suppose.
Eventually, a wave soaked Cameron's pants, socks, and shoes and he was in a super funk. This made it all okay though ;)



Yeah...I think I gained five pounds this weekend.



After all of that sugar, we decided a nice long rest was in order, so we headed back to our room.


Gabby and I cuddled.



and laughed















I am going to end this post here since I am fresh out of ideas for my 31 posts! SO...this post is "to be continued" TOMORROW!

xoxo

13 comments:

The Sanchez Family said...

I LOVE this post! Adorable family you have! What a beautiful weekend it turned out to be!

Crittle said...

What a sunrise! Thanks for showing me how much I'm taking for granted.

You all were so great to hang out with. Even I am on pins and needles waiting to see what comes next. :-)

Aunt Nutty said...

Sounds like you guys had a great "phamily" vacaion and made lots of wonderful memories.

Aunt Nutty said...

okay, well Aunt Nutty can't spell. Sounds like you had a great vacation. Can't wait to hear more.

Kyla said...

Looks fun so far! Minus the formula/potty fiasco, of course.

Jenn said...

Just reading your post made me feel like I went on a relaxing vacay! Now I think I need to go convince DH that we need to do so immediately! Great pictures!

The McNicol Clan said...

i love monterey. it really is a peaceful place to be. :)

Julie said...

Great pictures! It looks like fun. I love Monterey. Can't wait for Chapter 2.

Virginia said...

"Are you China?" adorable!

Ha, I like the random picture of the Mexican man. Because if it's not random I want some of those grapes!

Sheree, you're so pretty! I like it when you're in the pictures with your kids the best!

and sorry, I tried to keep up with the 31 for 21, it didn't work out. I love your pics! Looking forwards to tomorrows!

WheresMyAngels said...

Oh that looks like alot of fun! I wish I could have gone.

Powdered formula is probably as good as powdered potatoes! lol

Great photo's!

~aj~ said...

I think travel fiascos are just par for the course with little ones. We've certainly had our fair share over the years.

Monterey just looks gorgeous!

And I definitely have favorite pics of everyone...
Nguyen sleeping with Cam...so sweet!
Cam and his ice cream treat...Yum!
You and Gab cuddled on the bed...precious!
And that last pic of Gabby smiling...my heart totally melted!

Now I'm off to read part 2!

Anonymous said...

GREAT pics!! Great post too! So fun to read! Sorry you had such a formula fiasco, but glad it all worked out! :) I LOVE Cam saying he had "nockulars like Diego!" Hudson would so do that too! :) Ok, off to read the continuation of the post! :)

Julie, Brian, Addy & Evan said...

Oh my gosh I love the last picture of her laughing, what a doll baby!