Why does my wife make me regularly blog now???

9:02 AM 20 Comments »
Hello again everyone... It's me Nguyen... And I woke up this morning to my wife asking me if I had any blog ideas... Are you kidding me??? My life is a non-stop blog, so let me jump right into it...



Sheree and I are not very political people at all... This election will be the first time we both vote for a president... Hell, I don't even think I voted for class president in Jr. high or high school because I didn't care enough.... I mean seriously aren't those kids who won those school elections either crackheads, got pregnant on senior prom night or in jail now? I know this to be fact because I personally sold them crack and got them pregnant on prom night... Call that a win/win situation.



So lately Sheree and I have been pissed off because our neighbors are putting up "yes on 8" signs all over their lawns... To sum it up, by voting "yes on 8" you are saying gay people can't marry and have the same benefits as married couples that consist of a man and a woman. There's more to it but that is the basic premise of this bill. Listen, I don't have any openly gay friends. I am uncomfortable watching Brokeback Mountain. I will admit it makes me uncomfortable when I see two gay men holding hands or kissing. (It's a different story if it's two women of course) It is just a negative physical reaction I get when I see things like that, because it's not something that I am used to. I was even shot at (like literally, with a gun) by an armed security guard because my friends and I were water-ballooning a gay bar when we were 16 (we were very young and immature)...



The thing is, I believe in equality. I believe in acceptance. And most importantly, I don't condone preferential treatment or hatred in any form. I remember walking with my best friend Jay, who happens to be black, down this country street that his family lived on, and every time someone in a (yup, you guessed it) raised pick up truck drove by, they would yell "Nigger" at us. I am not exaggerating. This happened everytime because his family was litterally the first black family to move near the town of Wilton, which is a major meeting place for the KKK. Except everytime we had a chance, we walked down that same street because I believe deep down inside we knew that one day the world wouldn't be like this anymore.

We knew that if these rednecks saw enough of us they would one day come to accept that we were not going anywhere. Well guess what? My backyard now backs up to that same country road where we used to have "Nigger" hurled at us, and now my neighborhood on that same street is populated by every color imaginable. No seriously... you should see the color of some of the people in this neighborhood, I can't tell what the hell kind of race they are.



Well to make a long story short, I am not a perfect person, but I do know the difference between right and wrong now that I am older. I just know that the same ideology behind the attacks on gays and their rights, are the same exact imagery and scare tactics as the attacks on "Niggers," "Gooks," "Retards," and "Jews" throughout history...

So as a "Gook" who spends like a "Jew" and has a "Nigger" as a best friend and a daughter who is a "Retard", I can not sit back and watch as some ignorant people try to pass this shit off as some kind of bill that is going to save the American family. Our divorce rate is fifty percent, and I don't think gays have anything to do with that. I may be young and dumb still, but at least I am not filled with hatred and ignorance.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

woohoo! go winn! i freaking love you. and for the record my husband spends like a "jew" too.

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce, Sarah's mom. Very well stated, I couldn't agree more. I love your blogging.

Jenn said...

You guys are such great writers! You should seriously find a way to do it professionally as a team. I could agree with what you write anymore than if I wrote it myself (which I wish I did...)

Casey said...

I totally agree!! No on prop 8-I actually wrote something similar on my blog about this same thing, I actually had a "blog debate" with some random person that read it-check out their comments, it incredible how naive and judgmental people can be.

Great post Nguyen!

Crittle said...

Thanks for explaining Prop 8! I just kept catching the end of the commercials and saying that I needed to follow up and then my crazy life just won't stop and...yeah, thanks. You make some really good points.

..Kris Naven.. said...

I know I don't know you, but I knew Sheree in High School, and we had mutual friends. We have become friends over the internet because we share the love of our children, and I love hearing about all that is going on with your family. I am so glad that Sheree is happy, and is doing so well! You have such a beautiful family! I read you guys' blog, and Cameron and Gabby are so adorable! I read this blog, and just wanted to respectively express to you my point of view on this propisition. I respect your viewpoint which I have never heard from that angle and express the love you have for some of your friends and family. I just wanted to let you know that Californian's voted on Prop 22 that marriage was between a man and a woman in 2000 and it passed by 61%. Californians already passed this issue and we are having to make a stand again because four San Francisco based judges overthrew our vote. I think it is unfair that votes didn't count in that election because those judges overthrew the majority. It isn't about inequality as the media says for No on Prop 8. The churches throughout California (All church's, Baptist, Catholic, LDS, etc.) will lose freedom of speech, religion and action if gay marriage passes. If any church doesn't perform gay marriages they will first lose tax exempt privileges and then if it continues the church itself could be disassembled and banned from the state govt. These are serious consequences for believing in a prop that says that it is for "equality for all." Gays will gain the right to marriage while all other congregations will lose their freedom of speech, religion and action. I guarantee that if gay marriage passes so many lawsuits will arise to all congregations that do not perform gay marriages that millions of dollars will lost by all churches that are just trying to practice their religion. In reality who is being treated unfairly gays or people practicing their freedom of religion? It is not about hatred, it really isn't, it is about being able to practice our religion without government interference or being scared of lawsuits. This is part of the reason I am voting Yes on prop 8, there are others, but this will help you understand my view. I respect your view, but I feel strongly about voting Yes on Prop 8.

sheree said...

(sheree posting)

Kris- I thank you for your respectful argument. And while I do see what you're saying in regards to lawsuits and the like, I feel that if someone challenged a church who wouldn't perform a gay marriage, more power to them!

It wasn't long ago that certain races weren't allowed into certain congregations. It also wasn't very long ago that interracial marriages were against the law, and were not to be conducted in the church.

In fact (and I am not trying to attack your church in any way, shape, or form... just trying to paint a bigger picture)the church of LDS would not allow a person of Black-African descent into Priesthood ordination until 1978. 1978?!!

Another example of how far we've come: From 1913 to 1948 interracial marriages were prohibited. Can you imagine if that were still in effect today? YOU wouldn't exist and neither would my children. Was it extreme? I think so, do you?

And I also understand that a lot of people like to make the argument that two men or two women cannot procreate, therefore their relationship is deemed "wrong." What about the woman who is infertile? Should she suffer through life alone because she cannot bear children?

So, my point is (ha) that many years ago the American people were fighting similar battles. Battles that you and I never had to endure. I think we're smart enough to realize that "non-whites" are NOT inferior to whites. It was just something people CHOSE to believe.

Today, I CHOOSE to treat people with equality. You and I are not here to judge people. We are here to live OUR lives and not set out to manipulate the lives of others.

I hope you can see my point more clearly, and no doubt you will still vote YES on 8 and that is fine. I will still be marking the "NO" box. We can agree to disagree ;)

The Drinkwater Family said...

I don't know your family, but respect your willingness to see other's points of view. I would just like to say that proposition 8is about family. If we vote No on prop 8, we are demeaning the value of families. Families are what makeup our society, you have a beatiful one yourself. For me it's not about equality. If we say that gays and lesbians can marry, and that it's about love, then why can't people who love their brother, sister, or grandmother in that way marry them? That would be equality for them as well. But that's not right either. Why can't I have 3 husbands, if I love each of them, but that's not right as well. If we allow anyone to demean the family unit, then it will be a dominoe effect opening up the flood gates of the continued demise of the family. Also, as a teacher, I can't believe that people are buying the argument that it won't affect our schools. Then tell me why the CTA (California Teachers Association) has donated such massive amounts of money to push their social agenda. Look at Massachusetts. What has happened there, will happen here!!!!!!! I find it interesting that those who are for prop 8's passing are deemed "naive and judgmental" as one person put it, but those who so strongly fight the other side are nothing of the sort. I appreciate your comments on prop 8, and hope people research both sides before making a decision based on what they feel is "equality."

Anonymous said...

Since you seem to know dates so well, when were interracial marriages against the law?

sheree said...

the drinkwater family-

Thank you for keeping it respectful ;)

As far as your questions pertaining to brother's and sisters marrying and the like, well...I think we all know that, gentically, this is unsafe. Most brothers and sisters raised together in suitable environments would never look at eachother in that way, and if they did, I would have to say there was probably some wrong-doing in the way that family was raised.

My belief is that gay people are not choosing to live a hard life. I doubt anyone wants to walk down a road of humiliation and discrimination. Some people argue that being gay is a choice, and I just really don't think that's the case. If a gay man COULD love a woman, I think he would.

As far as having three husbands? Well, NO I do not agree with this as this really WOULD alter the sanctity of marriage. What would be the point of marriage if you went out and married everyone you felt you had a close bond with? I just don't feel that because same-sex couples are marrying means anything to YOUR or MY marriage. If to women get married, what will happen to your marriage specifcally? Will you love YOUR husband less? Will you take YOUR marriage less seriously? I know that my marriage is MY business, and just because two dudes decide to tie the knot, doesn't mean anything is going to happen with Nguyen and I.

And then lastly, I know nothing about what is going on in schools or Massachusetts, so please forgive me. I will definitely look into it.

And again, thanks for being respectful! ;)

sheree said...

"ANONYMOUS"

I'm not sure what kind of point you are trying to make out of asking me specific dates, but pull out a history book.

The dates vary state to state. Bans were lifted gradually throughout many years. But to be specific, JUNE 12, 1967 is the day the Supreme Court legalized interracial marriage in all 50 states.

Does this answer your question?

Julie said...

Wow, you guys! What a controversal post! Winn, you stated my opinion exactly but even more eloquently than I would. Bravo!

I do see the other side and I really don't agree that churches should be effected in any way, that is a complicated byline that I hope some politicians can figure out. But I do want to point something out, it is unlikely that a gay couple will want to get married in a church that is intolerant, even though the law says they can.

And I have to say I think it is so ridiculous to say that gay marriage is "demeaning the value of family" Why? Because two people of the same sex want to be a family? I think it is just the opposite. Obviously people who think this way believe gays to be immoral, that is why they equate it to incest and bigamy. It is an underlying prejudice, much like thinking minorities are inferior, that hopefully people can someday see beyond.

The "thing" that happened in Massachusetts is that children in school were being taught that it was legal in their state to marry someone of the same sex, which is the truth, it is legal. If parents do not agree with this law then it is up to them to teach their children why they think it is wrong. And, welcome to your first lesson in intolerance, son.

I will be voting a resonate NO on 8with you guys, obviously!

sheree said...

Oh, I meant to adress this too, Julie!

"But I do want to point something out, it is unlikely that a gay couple will want to get married in a church that is intolerant, even though the law says they can."

I totally agree. Yeah, it may happen. But more often than not, they won't be wanting to be married in a church that would deny them ;)

The Drinkwater Family said...

I'm really sure that the politicians, who overthrew what 61% of Californians voted for, are going to be really worried about the religious freedoms that will be effected by prop 8. Did you read up on the parent from Massachusetts who was arrested because he wanted the option to opt out on his child being taught about families with 2 mommies and 2 daddies? I want to teach my children in a way that I see fit, not what someone else sees. They are able to teach anything about gays because it is the law. I can't wait until my child is in "Family Life" in 5th grade and taught about how men and men and women and women "show their love." That will be so fun to explain. If it's legal, it will effect all aspects of our child's curriculum and education. I am concerned about what my children are taught. I have never once said that I hated anyone or the way they choose to live, but if I am a bigot or intolerant for being concerned about my children, so be it. Let me just bow to you tolerant people who are so tolerant of my views!

Julie said...

Gosh, I would certainly hope the teachers and school administration would teach about gay relationships in an appropriate manner. I too do not want my children taught anything that is not age apppropriate, but I certainly don't mind the word "gay" being mentioned in our schools.

(Sheree - sorry to have a debate on your blog!

sheree said...

Drinkwater Family-

whoa now. First of all, please remember that I am tolerant of YOUR views. I understand that you believe one thing, and I believe another. There's no need to start getting hostile on MY blog. I have remained respectful, and I ask you to please do the same, or take your comments elsewhere.

"I want to teach my children in a way that I see fit, not what someone else sees. They are able to teach anything about gays because it is the law."

mmkay. Here's the thing. You CAN teach your children the way YOU see fit. As it stands now, you CAN opt out if you don't want your kids learning sex ed. in school. In the case of David Parker, a note was sent home so that if they wanted to withdrawal their child, they could. However, thr Parker's stated they did not receive this notice. If it is true that they didn't ever receive it, I do agree that it is wrong that they couldn't pull their child out. But, the law in Mass. does state that you can pull your child out of class for those types of situations. This is not something that is likely to happen to you.

And on that same note...I GUARANTEE you that when sex ed. is taught in class, they won't be going into depth about romantical encounters between gay men and women. Sex ed. is taught so that children know what happens to their bodies, and how the reproductive system works.

Last I checked, they weren't teaching about different sexual acts, or sex toys.

I think we all need to take a breather on this.

(sigh)

The Drinkwater Family said...

Agree to the breather! Enjoy your family and have a Happy Halloween! The lion is cute, my son was that last year!

sheree said...

thank you and you do the same! :)

Pity DaFoo said...

Coming from a "jew" I am going to have to agree with everything you have said. I volunteered last week at the No on Prop 8 phone bank. It was a great experience!

On a lighter note...I really should have copied off of you in high school! :) Impressive stuff.

Anonymous said...

(Barry, London, UK)
There does appear to be two major points of effect related to this ruling - 1. the "freedom of belief/action" side that everyone should be free to do what they wish in life (as long as it does not directly affect others)
2. the fact that voted for homosexual marriage to stay legal will have a financial knock on effect for religiuos institutions.

surely the very fact that such financial "penalties" may occur undermines the whole vote in the first place.

a society should be lead, dictated and develop by its citizens - therefore if there is a large homosexual coomunity with the US and/or CA that wish to openly practice their way of life without causing malicious harm to others then they should be able to be free to do so.

this same ethos then applies to religious groups, they should be free to express their opinion and/or beliefs, but NOT (and this is where my point is ultimately leading) be able push said opinions onto others to dictate others way of life.

the above ethos is why i saddened that a self stated "cizilised/developed country" would even be having such a debate

the thought of such a bigoted vote even being balloted on is a very worrying state of affairs - but having said that, if society (ie California) votes that way then that is the people stating how they wish THEIR society to be

good luck CA with not regressing back into the bigoted small minded ways of the past